Sea turtles while snorkeling in Western Caribbean ?

LabloverinCa

I have ALWAYS wanted to snorkle and see sea turtles !! Our Western Carribean cruise aboard the Grand Princess leaves in just 9 days ! Stops are Costa Maya, Belize, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Which port would be the best for viewing sea turtles while snorkeling and does anyone have snorkeling spot suggestions for doing so ?

saw a turtle in Cozamel, Scuba diving but not snorkling, off the San francisco Reef in October 2005:cool: ...but he was about 40-50 ft down and moving fast....thats the only one I saw down there.... the water is a little fast ie. drift diving for a leisurely snorkle....

I've seen turtles while diving in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I think you might be a little more likely to see turtles snorkeling in GCM, partly because of the turtle farm.

If you really want to snorkel with turtles, the Big Island of Hawaii is the place to go. They lay out on the beaches, they come right up to you and look you over when you're in the water, they are practically everywhere. Since they are protected, they don't seem to be afraid of humans. It is against the law to harm or harass them in Hawaii, and that includes just touching them, they sometimes they are so curious (or just don't care) that they bump into you.

I thought about the turtle farm, but was afraid it was a place turtles are kept until being made into soup or something awful like that ! I would never want to see them under those circumstances. Does anyone know if the turtle farm is a safe place for them ? Looks like Barbados or Hawaii are the best places to actually swim with them. Hmmmm.....ideas for another cruise !!

I thought about the turtle farm, but was afraid it was a place turtles are kept until being made into soup or something awful like that ! I would never want to see them under those circumstances.

Then you would not want to go to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman. They're just stuck in these big pools, hundreds of them. And yes, they are raised for food.

Did it once, wouldn't go back.

Then you would not want to go to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman. They're just stuck in these big pools, hundreds of them. And yes, they are raised for food.

Did it once, wouldn't go back.

Lucky is right. It is appropriately named; Turtle Farm because that is the primary purpose of the facility, to raise turtles for meat. Just like a trout farm or a pig farm. Yes, they do release some into the ocean, but not all of them.

You wouldn't be able to swim with them at the farm anyway. I was thinking more like going to the turtle farm shore dive site by http://www.divetech.com and snorkel there. It is called the turtle farm site only because it is close by.

We saw lots of turtles in Cozumel 2 days before Wilma. Palancar Reef was covered with them. Seems like we always see turtles there, but too deep to snorkel. But they do breathe air and have to come up some time.

Most of the areas in Cozumel that are shallow enough for good snorkeling were damaged by Wilma.

It's tough to see turtles snorkling unless you stay over deeper water and then you won't see much else.

I've only been to Grand Cayman once. We did not see any turtles.

Tom

You could see turtles in either GC or CZ, but you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Your chances of seeing turtles will improve a lot if you dive rather than snorkel. When we dove in GC, I had one that swam around me in circles, hamming it up for the camera.

Have a great time wherever you get in the water!

Wendy

Archived