discover scuba what is it

bohunk72

I did one of thes tours on the Big Island in Hawaii last year. It was a lot of fun. I met the group at the dive shop and got fitted for a wet suit. Then we (3 of us) had a brief lecture on diving, (how to clear our masks, use the regulator, hand signals, etc....) and a few other things. Then we met them out on the docks. When we got out to the dive spot, we were taken one at a time down to practice clearing our mask and replacing our regulators. Then we went for a 30 minute dive down about 30-35 feet. It was a blast. I ended up going down by myself with the instructor because the other person wasn't able to dive after all. We came back up and waited on the others. We then went to another dive spot, waited an hour and did another dive, about the same time and depth. This was a much better dive for me.

These dives count towards your certification if you decide to do that at a later date.

I think someplaces have a pool you practice in as well before you go out to the ocean.

I think it was worth what I paid. I'd do it again.

We did it in Cozumel in October thru RCCL. It was my first dive experience and it was terrific. We went on a shore dive and went to 25-30 feet.

There were 2 problems: 1. It was TOO short... I could have stayed longer than the 45 minutes. 2. We just kept moving. I wanted to investigate the stuff I was looking at.

It is so much better than snorkeling!

Discover scuba is the best introduction to diving you can do.

Some local dive shops offer it too. They do it in a pool just so you can try out the gear to see if you like it. They charge is usually $10-$15 per person for the pool session.

Just as a warning, to some people diving is addictive. That is why the LDS only charges $10-$15 for discover scuba. That barely covers the cost of the pool, the dive shop doesn't make any money on it. They know that some of the participants will want to get certified after trying it.

Compared to scuba diving, snorkeling isn't much fun at all, at least for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived