snorkeling, scuba newbie advice

OldinJersey

we're going on our first cruise in a few weeks! None of us has done scuba or snorkeling before. All of us would like to try snorkeling. I'd love some advice on where to book the snorkeling for all of us. Also would love to know if the discover scuba type excursions (which are not offered so far by the cruise line) would be safe/fun to try. HELP!

We are a family of 5. son age 26, daughters 20 and 16. All three can swim, all three know a bit of canoe, sailboat, water ski. Dad and I, early 50's (more or less haha) and poor swimmers so only life jacket, easy, snorkel stuff for us.

Son would also like to deep sea fish.

We are going to - in this order - Nassau, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Frederickstad, St. Croix (dec. 25th, nothing offered so far) and then Half Moon Cay.

Which is best for snorkeling?

Thanks!

we're going on our first cruise in a few weeks! None of us has done scuba or snorkeling before. All of us would like to try snorkeling. I'd love some advice on where to book the snorkeling for all of us. Also would love to know if the discover scuba type excursions (which are not offered so far by the cruise line) would be safe/fun to try. HELP!

We are a family of 5. son age 26, daughters 20 and 16. All three can swim, all three know a bit of canoe, sailboat, water ski. Dad and I, early 50's (more or less haha) and poor swimmers so only life jacket, easy, snorkel stuff for us.

Son would also like to deep sea fish.

We are going to - in this order - Nassau, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Frederickstad, St. Croix (dec. 25th, nothing offered so far) and then Half Moon Cay.

Which is best for snorkeling?

Thanks!

Well I can't tell you anything about the ports you are going to but we have snorkeled in several spots.

The guides will give you a blow up vest to where that you can blow up as big or little as you want.You can either buy your own mask and snorkel or they will supply one for you( hope they soak them in a mild bleach solution though).

The hardest part of snorkelling I found was the breathing thing,as humans we are used to breathing through our noses and not so much through our mouths so it takes abit of getting used to.

Things to watch out for...things that look like floating condoms,or masses of saran wrap, or jelly...They are jellyfish and some are nothing to play around with.If you get stung urine is the easiest remedy for the sting.

Fish with big teeth( no brainer)

smaller fish when picked up puff up:eek:

Things to bring with for great photos

An underwater camera( get it at Walmart it is cheaper then on the ship)

Dog biscuits to intice the fish to feed off

Corn Flakes..more feeding ideas

Hopes this helps..we loved St Martin,Martinique had too much fire coral( oh yeh stay away from the yellow growth on the rocks it will burn your skin like you would not believe)And this year we did Manzinillo.All were amazing and great photos.

Enjoy

Regards

Karen

Archived