Everything you need to know about your film and the XRay Machines:

Boo's Mom

Hi Boo's Mom,

That is a great page! It covers most of what the TSA page on the subject covers, plus shows examples of what can happen!

Thanks for posting it...

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

nealberk.... my thoughts on your comment about going digital:

1. I cruised to Alaska last summer...lost all of my film due to xray damage.

2. I purchased a digital camera soon after.

3. I have been taking lots of pics with my digital and have come to the conclusion that the two really do not compare!

~ The digital camera (IMHO) is great for sending pics on the computer. Can't be beat! As for great quality photos almost all of the time...needs to be a 35MM.

I cruised in December on the Golden Princess. Took only the digital. I discarded about 40% of my pics, because they completely looked digital... and not photo album quality.

4. Heading back to Alaska..on the Summit...in two days. I will be bringing both the 35mm and the digital. Am I anxious about the 35mm film situation...asking for it to be hand-inspected at every xray.... yes, I am a little nervous. This includes everytime we embark/debark the ship. Xray damage is accumulative. My goal for a cruise is to totally relax...and if I am very often thinking about my film, I am not completely relaxing. I know, such a hard life I have. icon_wink.gif

Some folks see very little difference, if any between the two cameras. My photographic eye...however...can see much difference.

Just some thoughts to consider, before purchasing a digital.

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

Thanks for the link. We are getting married aboard a cruise ship in August then setting sail for a seven day cruise. Would really hate to loose all of our pictures from those special events. I think I will just carry the film and camera in its own bag and ask them to hand check!!

Erin & Brent

"Friends are the family that you choose for yourself"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Boo's Mom:

nealberk.... my thoughts on your comment about going digital:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I do agree with you. There is still a slight difference between analog and digital which will never be totally resolved (I can tell the difference between my old record albums and a CD- there is a difference....)

But the hassles of film did make me lean more toward digital.

About a year Popular Photography had a long writeup about taking film through security and the total pain-in-the-*** problems that were involved. Between differing attitudes of the inspection people (most had never even read the official procedures for film!) ranging from cavalier to "lets pull the film out of the cartridge to see if it really is film." the experience was totally unpleasant for all.

If it wasn't for the fact that getting film at the destination was sometimes difficult, expensive, and far more limited in variety, and mailing the exposed prints back filled with multiple disasters in the making; the author would have never passed a single roll of film through the airport.

I just came back from a RCCL cruise & while at some ports they hand checked the film - others they gave me a hard time and would only check the film that wasn't in my camera - they wouldn't check the camera that had film in it. Thankfully all my film was okay - I am also leaning towards digital but I got a while to go before I need to buy it.

Celebrity's Mercury - Mexican Riviera 4/7/06

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2006;04;07;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

I would recommend printing out the TSA page which does suggest that the airport security screeners in the USA will hand search your film, if you ask them to. This page doesn't clearly say it, but the last time I checked their own rules say they have to if you ask.

However, this was definitely not the case at port security checkpoints. At least I haven't found anything in writing saying that, and they were obnoxiously stubborn about it in Miami last fall.

If it looks like you won't be able to get a hand inspection upon boarding the ship, try to "budget" the number of times your film comes through the x-ray. What I mean is, don't take all your film with you on each shore excursion, and if you bring an unused roll or two back on, don't take the same film off again, use it on the ship, etc, so that it won't have to go through any more times than neccessary.

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

TPKeller....

My daughter brought a 35mm with her when we sailed on the Golden in December. Everytime we boarded the ship at a port, we asked for the camera to be hand inspected. Funny thing is....they passed it through...without an xray...and without even looking in the camera case!!! I couldn't believe it! We could have had a gun in there, easily.

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

Archived