Must See and Buys in Belize

Mike Lee

We are sailing on the Valor on 12-25-05 and we are stopping in Belize. This is our first time there. I am traveling with two teenage girls and wondering is there any tour that is a most for Belize something you will not get anywhere else in the world? Also is there any local items that are unique to that area or buys there that are betting than anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Biking in Belize-started off with a narrated 1 hour tour of Belize City on the drive to our starting point, very light bike ride through the rainforest while learning about their flora and fauna, short tour around Altun Ha and an 'authentic' Belizean lunch-which was surprisingly good, and I'm a picky eater. $55/pp-really good value for a cruiseline sponsored tour!

As for the Cashew Wine-we each bought a bottle of it for $8/bottle from the restaurant. I'm trying to figure out a way to describe it. When I have a cashew, it kinda feels like it coats the inside of my mouth afterwards. The wine is like that-starts off with a yummy, sweet taste, and then you get the 'cashew mouth coating' finish. I don't like cashews, lol. I haven't opened my bottle-brought it back as a souvenir for a friend who turns out is allergic to nuts, whops!-but DBF enjoyed his with his friends when we got back. I'm trying to figure out who would enjoy the wine as a Christmas present, lol.

I can't remember seeing any of the wine in the tourist shop area, but I'm sure there's some. They also didn't confiscate either of our bottles when we got off the tender.

They have a brand of hot sauce and related products there-have only seen them once at home in a speciality shop, and at that only for a short time. My DBF swears by the hot sauce he bought there though-so if you like that stuff, it's called 'Auntie Marie's' or 'Momma's' or something, wish I could remember the name :D , but it has a woman on the front, not that that helps much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wondering about logistics of Belize bike trip we have booked through Carnival for April.

I plan on bringing digital camera, is it wise to bring a small digital video camera? (I'd put items in backpack). Just wondering about pace of ride, terrain etc. --My son is almost 15 and "THE THING" he wanted to do on the trip was bike. At least I should burn some calories :)

What type of food was authentic Belizean lunch, was it a restaurant with menu or family style??

• 2 weeks later...

I had no problem with the pace-never got winded and I can't tell you the last time I biked or even worked out before that. ;) There is a lot of roots to bike over, but it's easy to pick out a path.

I used a disposable camera that I have since lost. :mad: It was hard to organize riding a bike and taking pictures, but somehow I did it. They do stop frequently though, and they provide you with water.

The food was good-and I'm picky too. They had the staple food of rice & beans (tried it, it was okay, but not for me), fried plantains (they were good-and I considered them dessert), chicken and another side that I forget. It was satisfying though, and they provide you with your choice of beverage.

If they stop you at the Nutmeg/Allspice tree, can you grab a leaf or two for me? My DBF is a chef and was really upset when I threw out the leaves he picked. We had no problem with customs all the way through since it's not seeds or anything of the sort, only to find out that I had tossed them out while still on the Elation. :(

I love Mr. P's Cashew Wine. Don't drink it like wine but instead drink it as an after dinner liquor. It is sweet and somewhat thick. My friends love it too. It is not made from the nuts but rather from the cashew fruit (which most people through away). Belize also has some good rum as well. Not too much exciting stuff as far as handmade goods though.

If I have the opportunity, I will do so and contact upon return. Just asking--okay with customs or getting back on ship? I figure they don't xray so scanning should be ok.

Does the chef plan on drying them and cooking, just curious.

LOL-it's perfectly all right to bring through customs. They said they consider it under the category of a spice, since it comes from the allspice tree. It contains no roots or seeds, so cannot reproduce over here. You can bite it, and it actually tastes like the spice! We put them in an empty, clear water bottle, and had no problem anywhere. Customs at the airport laughed at us when we voluntarily told them about it.

The chef intends to dry it and see if he can make some type of pumpkin pie with it. I love pumpkin pie, but I think I'll be skipping that one. ;)

Thank you so much if you could!

Archived