Hawaii Car Rental Question

reddogranch

We were there in September. We rented from Enterprise as their office was very close to the pier - not at the airport. Parking was right at the pier. It's still a bit of a walk to your car but they allowed us to drive nearer to drop off or pick up and if you are handicapped you can park even closer to where you go through to board the ship. Also, Enterprise had way fewer people renting cars so their shuttle had only four of us onboard. We had our car and were off driving within about 20 minutes after pickup. We used our cell phone to call them to come for us as we were leaving the ship. We always reserve cars before leaving home. They don't require a cc number or deposit but, please, cancel by phone if you must so your reserved car can be released. We loved our two days in Kahului. Enjoy!

Hi

Does it cost any money to have you car parked overnight on the Maui pier? On the POAM, we are in Maui for 2 days. I had always anticipated the one day rental form road to hana on day 1, but I now realize there is very little to do in Maui aroun the pier. Is this the case? Most people make the 1 hour drive to Kanappali beach I beleive.

So my questions:

1. Is this the case re:no good beaches around the Kahului Pier in Maui?

2. How much does it cost to leave car overnight in pier?

3. Any good transport from the pier out to Kanapali Beach?

Thanks!!!

There was no charge for parking in the lot at the pier. We were in Kahului two days also. First day we went to Kaanapali and beyond up to Napili Bay beach and Kapalua Bay Beach (possibly our two most favorite beaches in all Hawaii. That afternoon we drove down to the Wailea area beaches. Second day we started toward Hana. Got to within 7 miles and turned around. Took side road off Hana Hiway down to Keane peninsula. There is a beach not far from the pier towards Hana - don't remember the name - but the day we were there it was too windy to enjoy. We loved our two days there and it was convenient to be able to keep the car overnight.

We were on the POAM in August. Overnight parking in Kahului was right at the pier and at no cost. Please be aware that the parking lot is very small and fills up very quickly. We came back around 7:00pm and the lot was already full. We were told to park along the street, but that was also filled up. We had to circle around a few times before we found a parking spot on the street.

I was thinking of renting a convertible in Hilo and Kauai. I see the advantages re the view. I know it can rain and there is a top.

But for those who've been before, what disadvantages could I be missing??

We didn't go all the way to Hana as we had been there before and actually THE ROAD to Hana is the adventure - we preferred this time to do a little more exploring rather than go so many miles. We got WITHIN 7 miles of Hana before turning around to enjoy the scenery more fully and take a couple of the side roads off the Hana Hiway. I believe the big beach near the ship is Baldwin Beach but it was too windy the day we were there to stay.

Archived