Options for storing baggage in London while we tour the continent?

Wendell

We live in Seattle and are planning to fly to london 5 weeks before our transatlantic Southampton-New York crossing on QM2 on May 17th.

In days of yore, according to my father (and confirmed by John Maxtone Graham in The Only Way To Cross) one's steamer trunk would be stored by the line during the stay in Europe - obviating the need to lug it through Europe like the proverbial Albatross.

Our travel agent told us that Cunard would arrange to pick up a bag at our house and deliver it to our stateroom. When I telephoned to ask about rates, I was told that the cost would be around $350 per suitcase.

At those prices, we're willing to drag it to London with us and store it there.

Does anyone have any experience with or suggestions for storing baggage in/around London for 30-35 days?

Thanks!

Wendell Joost

A couple of years ago, we crossed to Southampton on the Royal Princess, rented a car and traveled around Europe for a few weeks, then sailed back to the US on QE2. We arranged with Cunard’s shipping agent (the name of the company was Denholm) to store several pieces of baggage somewhere at or around the Southampton pier while we were driving around Europe. When we returned to Southampton, the shipping agent delivered the baggage to our stateroom on the QE2. It worked very smoothly, and it was not expensive -- nothing like the price you were quoted. I don’t recall exactly, but it seems that it was around $100 for several large pieces. You of course have a different scenario because you’ll be flying into England. But I’d suggest that you get in touch with Cunard’s shipping agent, rather than Cunard itself, and see what they can do for you.

Archived