Grand Princess excursions vs. independent excursion?

windstar

Considering the schedule of the Grand Princess in Belize (6:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.) has anyone had experience booking an independent excursion? I plan to do cave tubing but can't make up my mind to go with the ship's excursion or an independent.

Any advice or reports of personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Considering the schedule of the Grand Princess in Belize (6:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.) has anyone had experience booking an independent excursion? I plan to do cave tubing but can't make up my mind to go with the ship's excursion or an independent.

Any advice or reports of personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hi-

We are on the Grand In Janaury and asked this same basic question here. Given the short time in port, it was recommended to me several times to book with the ship. That way , if you are dealyed getting back (mechanical breakdown or something) the ship will wait for you. If you go independently, you are (as I understand it), out of luck if you get back late. Normally, we book independently, but if we do an excursion in Belize, we will likely do so throught he ship given the short port time. Have fun.

StephenAndrew-

Thank you so much for your information and advice. I will not be on the Grand Princess until April, since you will be on in Jan. can you tell me if Princess is offering Cave Tubing as an excursion? Princess has not posted shore excursions for our sailing date.

Again thank you.

StephenAndrew-

Thank you so much for your information and advice. I will not be on the Grand Princess until April, since you will be on in Jan. can you tell me if Princess is offering Cave Tubing as an excursion? Princess has not posted shore excursions for our sailing date.

Again thank you.

I can't speak for April, but in January, Princess does offer the cave tubing excursion. I believe it was $99 per person. Happy Travels!

I booked Coral Breezes' shark/ray snorkle & caye caulker exploration tour. They have one that leaves early & returns b4 1:30.spacer.gif

Hi-

I have read some positive things about Coral Breezes--I am sure it is a great tour (and probably cheaper than the comparable Princess Tour). I just want to mention that there have been a number of other posts that have mentioned how lenghty the tender times are for the Grand recently (see Princess Board). I do not know if the Grand requires a tender in Belize, but from what I understand, Princess appears to give tender priority to those taking Princess excursions. I suspect it will be a non issue, but you might want to check out what others have said regarding tendering. One suggestion that was made was to get a tender ticket early (e.g. get in line before they tell you too)---might help you get off earlier.

Hi-

I have read some positive things about Coral Breezes--I am sure it is a great tour (and probably cheaper than the comparable Princess Tour). I just want to mention that there have been a number of other posts that have mentioned how lenghty the tender times are for the Grand recently (see Princess Board). I do not know if the Grand requires a tender in Belize, but from what I understand, Princess appears to give tender priority to those taking Princess excursions. I suspect it will be a non issue, but you might want to check out what others have said regarding tendering. One suggestion that was made was to get a tender ticket early (e.g. get in line before they tell you too)---might help you get off earlier.

I was concerned enough to email Paul at CB yesterday and he answered this morning. Said this is the 2nd week with the early departure/return for Grand pax and it's going well. Getting back about 12:30, they skip lunch though. You can eat onboard with that early departure.

Which week are you? I'm on the 1/14/06

I was concerned enough to email Paul at CB yesterday and he answered this morning. Said this is the 2nd week with the early departure/return for Grand pax and it's going well. Getting back about 12:30, they skip lunch though. You can eat onboard with that early departure.

Which week are you? I'm on the 1/14/06

Sounds like it is going to work out great for you---save some warm weather and sunshine for us--we are on the 1/21/06. Happy travels!

I am off ship excursions all the way.better more attention, less cost.and they really appreciate us.Read the comments on Hugh Parkey's "cattle Boats" and thats enough to make me go independant..I can get in two tank dive before noon if we leave at 9-30 am and SEASPORTS belize is right at the dock.They have been doing this for years with no problems,...that extra hundred will go a long way towards my DW's shopping expenses.... If you do your homework and deal with CRUISE SAVVY tours, you will have no problems...

I have contacted Yhany from cave-tubing.com and they were very reassuring and said that they have had no problems having the Princess passengers back in time. He said that they would meet us at the pier at 7:30 but would have to miss the lunch (which is fine).

I always book private tours (just more money and too many people) but because of the short time frame I am a little nervous - the 'what if's' . . . The ship tour is more than double the price, $99, so I am looking for people that have / or will be doing this that are sailing the Grand Princess.

Would love to hear what people have experienced or your reviews when you get back.

We were on the Grand Dec 10-17 and simply got in line early for a tender ticket and got off the ship as soon as they began tendering. We had booked independent with Coral Breeze for the Shark/Rays/Reef & Caye Caulker. There were 10 of us when we left the pier. We dropped 4 off at Caye Caulker where they spent the morning. The 6 in our group went snorkeling on a reef, followed by a visit to Shark Alley. Both stops were great. Our guide, Heni, was terrific. Then we stopped for a brief visit at Caye Caulker, where we also collected the other 4 members of our group. The price was $64per person. They got us back to the pier in time to have a drink and have plenty of time to get back to the ship. The great thing about the early port call is that we got back on the ship and had the whole rest of the afternoon to bask in the sun on the ship's deck. Great day!:)

Archived