Is $20/day insane for a kids.....

I actually put my credit card on my 14 yr old daughters s&s and bought her a soda card. We never said a word about it just told her that anything you have to sign for gets charged there and in the 4 day cruise, besides excursions that were ok'd before hand, she only charged $8.00.

I was thoroughly impressed!!!!!!!;)

We are taking our 2 kids (11 and 13) when we go on the Mariner in February and decided to put $140 each ($20/day) on there seapass card for them to use however they want to...when it is gone, it is gone...I think that is a generous amount to play games with or get virgin fruity drinks per day. We won't make them pay for any of their cokes on board (will probably get them the coke card) or on the islands and will most likely let them purchase a t-shirt or other item under $20 on each island. We will pay for any excursions...though we tend to do our own thing and not use tour operators...we have a jeep reserved in St. Martin and will go to Megan's Bay in St. Thomas. The way we see it, we would pay for thier food/drinks no matter where we take them on vacation and we typically allow them to purchase something to take home from their trips with us. They enjoy doing things with us and will probably only go to the kids program one night so that DH and I can have a quiet evening alone at Chops....that's the plan anyway.

Is $20 too much??

I have 2 daughters (ages 9 and 17) and they start saving for the following summer in September. You would be surprised how much change adds up for the "vacation piggy". Last summer my youngest saved $53 for vacation. They are more careful how they spend it if they save for it too. I usually add half of what they save to their total but they are the ones saving for it. We are going on the Explorer in June. Plenty of time to fatten those pigs!

I have decided that a pop card ( I hear they can use that for fruity drinks too) $5 a day on the ship account and $15 a day on shore is what I will do for them. They are saving there own money too so that will help there $$$ pot too!! I can't believe all the replies I got on this one!!:D

I have 6 weeks and 5 days to go and I am bubbling over with excitement!!

Thanks again and any new ideas are welcome I will check it till it goes onto pages of the deep blue boards!!

soon I will be warm-

Sand,

Just wanted to clarify that the pop card qualifies them for pop like drinks, including cherry Cokes or Sprite with cherries, or Shirley Temples, etc; but it doesn't work for 'fruity drinks' like smoothies or virgin pina coladas, etc. There used to be a "virgin mocktail' card; not sure whether they still offer this. Either way, if you restrict them to one "fruity drink" a day, it's not cost prohibitive (though the virgin drinks cost nearly as much as a full strength one!)

On EOS in November the kids all went to the Adventure Ocean, and on one night they had 'free' arcade games for the 12-14 group, I think it was between 5 and 6pm and they were told prior. Not a long time, but they played til the end; my son was late getting dressed for dinner : )

Also towards the end of the week, one day it was 1/2 price arcade games during a longer time period and they took advantage of that. They also put some tshirts out the last day at sea, 2 for $20.

I think I gave my 3 kids $20 each cash on their card for the arcade and it lasted the whole week. Souveniers at port stops were 'negotiable' up to about $15 and each child chose one thing during the trip. That was adequate. Believe me, the souveniers are in the drawer already.

Give them each a one use camera. It was a lot of fun looking at the pictures they took.

I think that $20.00 is the minimum they should pay the parents for letting them on the cruise....frankly they are getting off cheap.

Overheard in a Target ...one teenage girl to another..." and my father had the audacity of making me pay off the amount I had charged on his credit card....."""

Travlgrrl: Thanks for the clearity on the fruity drinks, I would have been letting them get them and then seen a bill to choke me!!!

carla64: yes I know they have said the tap water is fine and free, lemonade is also free juices I think are free at breakfast?? I am bringing a water bottle for my kids to refill when needed!!

Linda8818: Nice tips!!! 2 for $20 shirts, free time at the arcade!! these are the fun insider tips I like to know about!!!! Thanks!!

smeyer418:??????? Sorry I don't get it????

Thanks everyone for responding!!!

Stay warm, it's snowing in MN!!!

Sand,

On at least one RCI cruise we were on, they had free arcade time every evening around 5:00. So my son would go while we got ready for dinner.

Just consult your daily Adventure Ocean Compass for times. There are many many free things for kids to do and consume and drink onboard; don't worry about it, it will all be great.

It is snowing maniacally in Duluth right now. Supposed to get over a foot. Then I'll need a cruise!

I think that $20.00 is the minimum they should pay the parents for letting them on the cruise....frankly they are getting off cheap.

Overheard in a Target ...one teenage girl to another..." and my father had the audacity of making me pay off the amount I had charged on his credit card....

smeyer418:??????? Sorry I don't get it????

I COULD be wrong but I think smeyer was just a tad sarcastic.

Travlgrrl: I didn't even notice how close you were to me??? I bet you ended up with alot more snow than we did?? Lake effect has got to be a pisser from time to time!! My little sister is looking at college up there!! What a small world!!

BonNYTX: Thanks I was hopping that's what it was and I just wasn't understanding!!

smeyer418: After re-reading it 10 times now I get it!! Use those fun faces so I get it next time!!!:D And I have one of those teens but if she ever said something like that she wouldn't like me much after we "talked" about it!!

Thanks for all your help everyone, I feel much better now with some of this insider info., who would have known they get FREE time in the arcade?? Not me the first timer!!!! SO really I thank you all......

Archived