QM2 Caribbean Cruise Immigration Query

capegirl

Can someone please tell me - do you have to go through the Immigration Process at each caribbean port you visit:confused:[/QUOwe went to the caribe from nyc and returned to nyc immigration processed at 5:00 am the morning of returning to nyc. never processed in the caribbe.

Can someone please tell me - do you have to go through the Immigration Process at each caribbean port you visit:confused:

I believe the rules are that if you have been out of the country (for a US citizen) you must pass CUSTOMS at the first US port you stop at. Immigration, I believe is only required on your return. I am talking US citizens here- I think this also applies to US residents who are non-citizens. The only place that I know of that requires immigration ALWAYS at every visit, is the Bahamas.

I will check further. I should know this! You forget after a while, and there have been recent changes.

I have info bookmarked somewhere!

FYI Here is the U.S. State Department's Travel website- all sorts of info on passports, where visas are required (Doesn't say anytthing about MasterCard!) etc.

Good info.

We had to clear Immigration in St Thomas after cruising in the Caribbean on the QM2. Our voyage embarked in Ft Lauderdale.

That makes sense. St Thomas is a part of the U.S. (US Virgin Islands.) Therefore you had to clear immigration.

Sometimes I mix up the rules between Immigration and Customs. I guess in either case, the first US port you hit after being somewhere other then the US.

I remember the first time I went to Puerto Rico (by air) then took a flight over to St Thomas and back. Even though both are part of the US, I had to clear customs when I returned from St Thomas. The rationale was that I could have gone somewhere else from St Thomas- I suppose so-It's easy enoughto take a sailboat over to a British Virgin. The main thing was that you not bring some sort of agricultural product into the country that might harm US crops.

Archived