Independence Pictures

CL-JW

she does look worn out,,

which cruiseline is she from , do you know ?

which part of the pier where you at??

I live in hercules, wouldnt mind checking that out,,

thanks

melissa

She is down off 3rd st and Terry Francois in the Mission Bay area.

this is the first cruise ship I was ever on.

I know times have changed regarding boarding but I took the ship as a ride home from St Thomas in 1969 after working there for a few months.

I vividly remember all of the pop art aboard the ship.

Thanks for the memory.

Attached is an image we took 20 Sep 2001, the day after American Cruise Lines went into bankruptcy. The Indy was home-ported at Maui, and after disembarking her passengers and all but essential crew, she sailed empty to Honolulu. We took this from our lanai, and as she sailed through a rain squall she was framed by a rainbow. It was a very sad day, but a fitting sendoff to a very special lady.

indy_anuenue.jpg.3aa1ef49aa412a0d50c86e6bef33c49b.jpg

Sailed her sister, Constitution, San Francisco to Hololulu, via Los Angeles, 12-84. Of course, Constitution later sunk while being towed to scrappers.

Very doubtful that Independence will ever return to service. Asbestos mitigation is very expensive, and her steam power plant outdated and too expensive to operate. Her hull is in fairly decent shape - many of her hull plates were replaced during her last major drydock/refurbishing, prior to American Hawaii Cruises going belly-up.

Constitution's hull plates were too far gone to attempt replacement, hence decision was made to tow her to scrappers.

Sailed on the old girl when I was just a kid....1966 I think. My parents transferred from Spain to Massachusetts. We sailed on Christmas Day and arrived in a frezzing NYC a week or so later. My very first cruise. Thanks for the memories!

Archived