Airlifted From the Dawn

MrPete

Have observed two helicopter medevacs from ships:

USMC chopper lifted sick elderly lady from Constitution, 12-84, while still 24 hrs out of Honolulu. Chopper refueled by USAF C-130 circling ship.

Canadian Coast Guard chopper lifted sick male from Westerdam, 9-97, off coast of Nova Scotia.

Both were done in fairly heavy seas, and the latter in fairly heavy fog - those pilots are very skilled.

A friend of mine is a blackhawk pilot in the US Army, she took me on base one day and sat in the chopper with me, was showing me this that, the other thing...it was mind-boggling. I asked how about hovering, how hard is that, she said it takes all your concentration and one wrong move...that's it....

It's amazing how they can land these things on cruiseships. My friend said it's like making a landing on a postage stamp!!!

Mary

BIL is a search-and-rescue helo pilot in Navy (now in reserves). I just hope he flys better than he drives!

We were on a ship off of Vancouver Island that rescued three crewmen from a sinking fishing vessel. It was very cool to see the ship's crew do the sea rescue. The fishing vessel's crewmen were treated in the ship's medical facilities and then airlifted to shore. All-in-all modern technology is really quite awesome.

Hope the folks in this article are all ok.

Archived