Lamanai questions

CSDC

We wil be in Belize at the end of January. The New river and Lamanai tour looks great. I have a couple of concerns. First do they have water available or do we need to take our own? Are shorts ok to wear or are there biting bugs. And last is it real hot in the jungle? I know this is alot of questions but I am trying to decide between this one and Altun Hun (?sp)

Thank you

We wil be in Belize at the end of January. The New river and Lamanai tour looks great. I have a couple of concerns. First do they have water available or do we need to take our own? Are shorts ok to wear or are there biting bugs. And last is it real hot in the jungle? I know this is alot of questions but I am trying to decide between this one and Altun Hun (?sp)

Thank you

We really enjoyed this tour. In answer to your questions: 1) There will be drinks at lunch, but I suggest bringing water. There are a few vendors at the boat loading area, but I do not remember if they had water for sale. 2) I definitely suggest shorts. Jeans would probably be way too warm. Good walking shoes or sneaks are the way to go. Hiking boots are not necessary and sandals are not advisable. 3) Bugs? We did not have a big problem in December, but I do suggest a bug repellent. 4) Heat in the jungle? We did not find it too bad, but it could be pretty hot and humid. Just another reason to wear shorts, a cotton top, and a hat.

Enjoy Belize.

Hi CSDC

We were in Belize last year the 1st of February. It was 80 degrees that day, blue sky, some humidity, but certainly bearable. It was truly a wonderful day. The jungle did not feel hot or steamy to me, in fact the shade was helpful- the only time I felt heat was on top of the temples where we were in full sun (and I had just exerted myself).

We went with RCCL and toured with a ship's tour. They handed us water when we got on the bus, again when we got on the boat and they had some if we wanted it when we got back on the bus. They even gave a couple bottles to the policemen after some quick talking got them out of a speeding ticket. I had taken some of my own water and I would take my own if I went again, just because you never know.

I wore light weight capris, my son and husband wore shorts, we were all comfortable. If you tend to get chilly a light weight jacket might be nice for the boat ride back. They go very fast and the wind was strong.

My husband took and put on bug spray, neither my son or I did. I got one bite, no one else was bothered. It was the dry season and that cuts way down on the bugs.

I know I questioned myself sick trying to decide which tour to take. I loved the Lamanai tour and could not have asked for the day to be any better. It was everything I had hoped for. But I also came away feeling that Belize is so wonderful there is no way you can go wrong as long as you do something.

Webegont'belize ;)

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Su

Thank you

1. As other posters have said there will be cool drinks at lunch but bring some of your own water.

2. Shorts are find but bring insect repellant just in case. I had a couple of bites (the bugs love me). My husband had none

3. Depends - The day we did this tour a cold front was moving through. the river ride was actually a little chilly (you might want to consider bringing a windbreaker for that - just in case). However once we got to Lamanai it was quite humid and so it felt warmer - no windbreakers needed there.

BTW - it was a great excursion!

Just chiming in with another positive for the Lamanai tour! :) We booked off the ship, and arrived back at the port in time to do a bit of shopping, and were onboard well before the last tender. We were there in the month of April and it was pretty warm, but not oppressively so. I took Cutter's insect repellent towelettes (easy to stick in a backpack) and our group of four used them before we went into the jungle, but I never noticed any bugs and no one else complained about getting bug-bit. We always take a bottle of water with us, but there were drinks provided as well. You won't believe the racket those howler monkeys can make! Have a great time!

Becki

Hawkeyegrandma:

I have knee problems and I had no difficulty with the boats - they are pretty big and not hard to board with some getting a little assistance from the staff. The site at Lamanai was not hard to get around BUT I recommend proper footware - like running shoes - not slippy sandals.

My husband assisted me a bit on the path back where there were some tree roots and loose stones - up until then I need no assistance at all. There is a reasonable amount of walking (maybe a couple of miles in all) but there are ample opportunities to sit on a wall or bench and rest for a few minutes.

We just returned Dec 10th from our cruise. We did the Lamanai River tour Thur RICI and it was the highlight of our trip.

We had a one hour drive on a air-conditioned tour bus thru the country side of Belize. Randy our tour guide was very interesting and gave us a lot of information on Belize and the people. When leaving the bus they handed out water bottles to all passengers. We had a total of 19 people on the tour that day.

Beside the river there is a quaint little area with a few vendors and washroom facilities. We then got in our boat and headed down or up the river (I'm not sure which) on a spectacular ride. The scenery is amazing and the boat driver kept stopping to point out different birds, lizards, alligators, plants etc. The boat ride is approx 40-50 mins in length.

We arrived at the ruin site and right away were greeted by a family of howler monkeys making their way thru the tree tops!! The ruins and jungle are breathtaking, it is indescribable and beautiful. We wore shorts and running shoes for the trip, also used the bug repellent wipes. However no one in our family had bites or did we notice insects.

After touring the site we had a traditional Belize lunch made and served by the locals. There was rice, cole slaw, salsa, chips, chicken, coconut tarts and bottled pop to drink. They had Fanta in bottles, that took me way back in time! The food was delicious.

The ride back on the boat was a bit shorter as they did not stop as often to point things out. Once we returned we had time to purchase items from the vendors. I bought a beautiful had carved wooden bowl that I love. Also bought a bottle of Belkin beer that sure quenched my thirst.

We then boarded the bus for the ride back to the port. It was a nice quiet time to reflect on all the wonderful things we had seen that day. We still had about 45 minutes left to spend in the port area before catching the last boat tender back to the ship.

This day was the highlight of our trip and I am glad we were able to share it with our two children 15 & 16 yrs old, they loved it too!

Archived