Puerto Vallarta Canopy Adventure

dachamps

Has anyone gone on the Canopy Adventure zip lines and not booked it through the cruise ship. Canopy has a website, but I can't tell where to go once we would get to port to book directly with them. I would like to save the $25 pp....but am uncertain if Canopy could be sold out. Sometimes "penny wise is pound foolish". Any thoughts?

I'm posting again about this because I REALLY mean it! lol

We did the Los Veranos Canopy Tour in PV and LOVED it. My best friend and I went, we're both 40 year old women who've NEVER done anything like this...and I'm terrified of heights. This was a fabulous excursion. When you get off the ship, you go out the gates of the pier compound and take a yellow cab to the Pemex station (I think it's in south PV, but they give you all the instructions on the canopy tour site), the tour office is right across the street from the pemex station. From the tour office you take a tour bus to the starting point of the tour. Everything is VERY simple and clear and you get back exactly the same way. Again, the staff on this excursion are terrific and you will have a fabulous time!

As for booking, you book online through the web site, and they get back to you re: availability etc.

www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

:) We recently took the Las Juntas y Los Veranos Canopy tour which was great and they treated us very well. It is larger than the one offered by Holland America and not crowded. Fun and not as scary as we expected. We saved even more by booking through Leslie at Puertovallartatours.net and paid through pay pal. We took a cab tour the tour office for about $10. Overall highly receommended.

I see this question more and more. Go to the excursion description for your cruise line. It the description says that you are 70-90 feet up in the trees and end with a rappel, then your cruise line contracts with Vallarta Adventures. Vallarta Adventures will not allow you to book with them independently if you arrive on a cruise ship that they contract with.

There are three canopy tour at PV. I have been on the excursions offered by Vallarta Adventures and Los Veranos. VA is all tree-to-tree; LV is some tree-to-tree but most is land-to-land across a river canyon.

Both were a good time but LV offers the greater flexibility for planning your time in PV. LV has a restaurant and swimmin' hole at their location and you can linger as long as you want. VA is a there and back with a tight travel schedule.

Los Veranos can be reached via taxi in about 15-20 minutes from the ship. Grab a yellow taxi outside the port. Cost should be around 5-6 bucks for up to four people. We took the 10AM tour in November and did not spend too much time out at their site after we were done with the zip lines. We were back at their PV office around 1-1:30 PM. The office is on the south edge of Old Vallarta. A great starting place to walk back through town as you shop, eat and drink your way toward the north end of the Malecon. A number of people have done the 11 AM LV tour and been back to the Krystal Resort (near the ship) in time for a 3 PM massage appointment.

All three canopy excursions will let you book in advance via the internet for a discounted price. There are also a couple internet discount excursion brokers that can book the tour for you too. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't be able to book a discounted tour price directly with the tour operator if they have a contract with the cruise line. See the first paragraph to figure out what company your ship contracts with.

Enjoy!!

The Vallarta Adventures canopy (the one with platforms) is most often the one offered by the cruise ship. It's also the least good of the three tours in town. It does, however, pick up at the cruise port, which the others do not.

Only a select few agencies are allowed at the cruise port - the companies that pay big bucks to the cruise lines to be there. The others all require you to take a quick taxi over to the shuttle location.

The Las Juntas y Veranos tour is the best of the three and also the most crowded for just that reason. You can book this tour either directly with the operator or with an internet discounter like Rnklash did.

El Eden can also be booked independently of the ship, and you'll also need to take a taxi. Not as big as Las Juntas y Veranos but still very good with good reviews. Less Crowded, more personal attention, but not as big.

Most people book outside the cruise ship for the latter two to save some money while most people book with the cruise ship for the Vallarta Adventures tour because they'll pick you up there if you do.

I would love to do the Los Veranos tour but I will be the only one in my family doing a canopy tour. My husband doesn't want me in a taxi by myself and wants to take the boys to the beach. If they rode to the Pemex station with me, is there a beach or resort that welcomes cruise passengers in Old Vallarta they could go to that's within walking distance for me once I return from my tour. I want to see Old Vallarta afterwards but don't want to take a taxi back to the ship by myself. I've booked the cruise ship canopy tour already but would cancel if someone could help me figure out a plan. I don't think they would want to go to where the canopy tour takes place and wait. I had wanted to find someone on our sailing which is the Vision of the Seas on 3-26-06 and ride over with them but only a couple of people have made posts for that sailing.

Archived