Just Back from Jewel Sailing Dec. 11-17

By the way I am 36 and over 100 pounds over weight and to the point I will need to go to a 1200-1500 calorie diet and starting out with four hours of exercise a day to lose the weight needed to be healthy. It’s not magic.

Okay, i'm not sure if you were being sarcastic here or not, but the PT and Nutritionist in me just has to say something. If you're 100lbs overweight I don't think you should restrict to 12-1500 cals and do 4 hours of exercise daily. You'll kill yourself, or someone else lol, for trying to follow that! Please contact your doctor and then a reputable RD and Personal Trainer (not someone at ballys or the like) and create a solid and healthy plan if losing the extra 100lbs is your goal.

If you were being sarcastic....please ignore this lol

As for my husband's comments about weight - I don't think the ship's demographics were that different from society's in general. But something we are going to have to face as a society is our increasing propensity to be overweight. It will continue to affect us all with increasing healthcare costs. That being said, I don't think my husband meant that overweight people shouldn't be allowed on cruises - just be aware that if you like to eat (overweight or not) you will be surrounded with that temptation on any cruise. And - if you like to eat, make a commitment to check out the fitness facility every day to help control your weight on the cruise. You'll feel better about yourself - and you'll give the fitness center employees something to do (that was the emptiest room on our boat!). :)

Wow - so nice to hear from someone who doesn't mind being preachy and self-righteous! I hope you shared your opinions with your fellow passengers during the cruise - I'm sure it would have made you popular with them in no time.

I find myself hoping that we can refocus on the cruise, since I think I met both husband and wife posters in Maya Palms and they were both nice people, I would rather hear what they have to say about the cruise than talk about your, mine and our weight. I will be posting up with my wife and here review and would love to hear what the Capt and his wife have to say on that, they may be kinder that I will be.

Thanks for the info we will look into it, my wife already thinks my doctors a quack.

I don't understand why "overweight" people get al upset when someone makes a comment about overweight people. Seems that everyone should know they are in that category, and should own up to it, or at least, be comfortable with what/who you are, and not take offense to it.

I am far from thin, but I don't get all bent out of shape, or offended when people call me "chunky", LOL. I just know I am, and I am ok with that. The days of me knocking myself out to be a size 3 are over. My sister weighs close to 270, at 5'6". But she knows, and accepts that she is fat.

If it bothers you that bad to be seen as fat, or overweight, then get started on doing something about it. I hear all the time that, "it's not easy". Well, of course not. If it was easy, everyone would be thin.(or average weight) I also hear, "It's genetic", or the thyroid thing. Maybe that's true in some cases, but with 65% of our population being overweight, I doubt that those reasons are the majority.

Lack of exercise, and poor eating habits make you overweight.(aside from the things posted above)

People are either OK with who they are, or they do something about it. I just don't see any reason to get upset when someone categorizes them correctly. I'm not sure I would have said that in the context of the review though, as I didn't see the relevance of it.

Just be happy with who/what you are is my point. If you're overweight, or fat, or "fluffy", be ok with that. :) Don't let yourself be offended.:)

As I said before, I am heavy, and I do accept that. That is not to say I don't try to do anything about it. I swim every day during the summer and try to walk during the winter. I agree with all the posters that said our society is getting more and more heavy (fluffy, fat, obese, whatever).

What I took offense to is that the OP said that obese people should avoid cruises just as alcoholics should avoid bars. It just struck me the wrong way......so shoot me for being sensitive.

Archived