RCL Low Carb Options?

airlinerob

Has RCL added any Low Carb Options to the menus like Carnival has?

I'm going next week and want to be able to prepare! :-)

Have a great day!

Robert

Carnival Fantasy - 01/96

RCL Sovereign of the Seas - 10/00

Celebrity Mercury - 06/01

RCL Sovereign of the Seas - 06/04

RCL Mariner of the Sears - 09/04

• 2 weeks later...

Not on the Sovereign... I just got off last weekends cruise, and no low-carb options in either restaurant. I was very disappointed.

Have a great day!

Robert

Carnival Fantasy - 01/96

RCL Sovereign of the Seas - 10/00

Celebrity Mercury - 06/01

RCL Sovereign of the Seas - 06/11/04

RCL Mariner of the Sears - 09/12/04

What do you mean by "low carb options"? Are you referring to wraps and other bread-type products?

If you're content to do a more traditional low-carb type of eating for the duration, I'm sure they can serve you meats, fish, etc. and appropriate veggies without sauces and sides that are bad for you.

Stella Solaris '80

Carnival Celebration '92

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01

Coral Princess '04

Good point. Low-carb typically means without traditionally high-carb ingredients, like bread, rice, pasta, ... and the problem that most traditional dining options face in that regard is that those things are typically the low-cost items on the plate, necessary to fill the plate to make it appear as if you're getting full value. Removing these items would tend to force them to add more meat, which would, of course, add to the food cost of the meal they're serving.

The logic doesn't apply on a cruise ship, though, where food is practically all-you-can-eat, so they can readily remove the starchy items and put on more protein, and I cannot imagine they will not do so. As such, it seems a perfect fit for a low-carb diet. While some items just won't translate as well, typically due to reliance on sugar for sweetening or starch for thickening, most everything can be readily adjusted to be "low-carb".

However, as low-carb eating has become more mainstream, the expectation of low-carbers is for items that are specifically low-carb: sugar-free sweets, carb-reduced breads, etc. These specialty items fall back into that category of added food cost, and so it isn't likely to see them unless things get to the point where low-carbers have a lot more commercial clout. In reality, though, Dr. Atkins didn't include such items in his diet until pressured by dieters who didn't like the fact that dieting meant a certain level of doing-without. Furthermore, they're not essential for a low-carb diet -- the adjustments I mentioned earlier is all that is necessary, and again, I cannot imagine an "all-inclusive" cruise ship with all-you-can-eat dining having a problem offering those options.

countdown.cgi?srgb=00ff00&dd=cd&trgb=ffffff&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2005;1;29;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500&ft=5&frgb=ffd700

RCI - Serendade of the Seas (S. Carib.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Leaving soon on Enchantment and was just reading the menus for the 5-day cruise. I'm getting so excited.

I have lowcarbed for years but now must be especially careful since I am keeping my blood sugar normal by saying "no" to all starches and sugars. This is a must for me, not just a diet thing. That said, I am really looking forward to the food on the ship. We don't go out to eat very often ($) and I am looking forward to dressing up, not shopping for food, not preparing the food, and not cleaning up afterwards.

Here are my favorite lowcarb choices on the ship:

smoked salmon

caviar

cream cheese

other real cheeses

eggs

bacon

sausage

steak

prime rib

seafood (all saltwater seafood)

salmon

shrimp

lobster tail

scallops

mussels

green salads (including avocado)

tomatoes

olive oil and vinegar

blue cheese salad dressing

green vegetables

black olives

nuts

As far as sugar-free desserts go, I don't order the cakes, just the pies (and I eat the filling) or panna cotta type things or the ice cream. Unfortunately for me, the sugar-free cakes contain flour.

• 5 years later...

We are booked for September 12th on the Oasis and I'm glad they have put off Dynamic Dining and I hope it doesn't come back for our cruise. If I can see the menu ahead of time, I can pick low-carb food. Having to choose restaurants, and menus that change would make it more difficult to find low carb options.

I've lost 43 lbs in 6 months on low carb and I don't want to gain it all back in one week...:D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a low carb lifer (been low carbing for 6 years and have lost over 120 pounds) and I cruise often. They key is to think creatively! The first night at dinner, decline the bread basket (your waiters will remember). When you order dinner, ask them for an extra side of vegetables (on Royal Caribbean, they brought me a big side of broccoli every night as well as a plate of whatever special veggie was a side on the evening's menu). Ask for butter to put on your veggies and steak. It's SUPER easy to eat low carb at the buffet; you obviously can't avoid every sugar in the sauces but you can find lean protein, plenty of vegetables and as a last resort, the salad bar. I like to make BLT "sandwiches" too -- at the deli, get some crispy bacon and then make a breadless plate layered with lettuce, tomatoes and mayo. Yummy! I do indulge in the no-sugar-added desserts a few nights; you have to have some sort of treat! Eat the burgers at the poolside buffet, just remove the bun. Easy!

Archived