Cozumel: Dive w/Martin

caribdiver

Just got off the Celebrity Galaxy. Three of us did a 2-tank dive with Dive with Martin.

Their main building was badly damaged by Wilma, but their operation is up-and-running well, still near the old International Pier.

His boats and equipment were unaffected. We rented BC's, regs, and weights: all were in good shape.

We dove the Santa Rosa Wall, then Paradise reef. Both were beautiful; we luckily had great weather.

The service and price are unbeatable. Great divemasters who focus on safety and fun. I strongly recommend Dive with Martin to anyone traveling by cruise ship to Cozumel and who is willing to set up their own dive. You can't go wrong.

Glad you also had a great experience with Martin. Who was your Capt & DM? We had Jose & Miguel and went to Santa Rosa & Tormentos. One thing I really enjoyed was even though we got in later than several other ships, we were able to pass just about all the other boats on the way to Santa Rosa. We were done with our first dive before it got crowded. Spent our interval at Nachi Cocum and was able to meet up with some of our non diving friends from the Rhapsody. Plan on using them again in Feb.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Our divemaster was Roberto...excellent. He closely monitored the inexperienced divers and worked hard to point out the marine life highlights.

Our interval was at the marina where they off-load the old tanks. Very cool to see all the boats there. Also saw an alligator they had captured and were tying up to move to a refuge.

Yes, the Santa Rosa reef/wall is great. We didn't beat other boats there because Martin launched our boat at around noon. Oh BTW...that's another reason Dive with Martin is great.....he's not fixated on the scheduled 0730/1300 departures; he'll work with your schedule to get you to the reefs and back to match your cruise ship schedule. Fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
What were the costs and the specifics to dive? We will be in Cozumel next week and my DH and brother-in-law want to dive. They plan to rent all the equipment on the islands.
All the information is on the Dive With Martin website: http://divewithmartin.com/ They are a good value as all their prices include rental gear. Just be sure to pay in cash for the best price.

I was in Cozumel I would say 6years or so ago, I stayed at the Allegro Resort for a week and dove with Dive with Martin. I can say they were Always on Time, Reliable, picked us up at the hotel pier when they said they would. I would trust them.

I was disappointed, I thought I would be going back in Feb 2006, but our itinerary changed to Costa Maya.

Jackie

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I am suprised to hear such good things. We stayed at an all inclusive resort in Cozumel 2 in 2004 and did Diving w/ Martin. We had a very different experience. We found the crew to be rude and unfriendly and paid little attention to the divers. We rented all our equipment through them and did a 2 tank dive. I tend to use a lot of air very quickly, so I am always very cautious about watching my guages. During the first dive, I still had 1500 lbs of air when we came back up to the boat, so I thought I had just relaxed finally and was using less. But about 20 minutes into the second dive, my tank completely ran out of air. We were at about 30ft and I had to buddy-breathe with my friend to make it back to the surface. Now here is the catch - when we got back to the boat, I checked my equipment again, and the guage still read 1500lbs. So they had given me faulty equipment..Not to mention that the dive master then took the time out of his 'busy' day to yell at me for not checking my guage while underwater. I informed him that it was his equipment that was faulty, and not me paying attention. He didnt even offer an apology. He just went about his business.

We will never dive with them again, or recommend them to anyone else! THey are dangerous. Stay away!

Wow! I'm honestly amazed to read the previous posting. My impressions are the exact opposite.

Although I like the varied opinions you get on this website. : )

My personal experience with Dive w/ Martin has been so different, and so positive, I felt obligated to add more to this discussion.

First, I'm just an avid diver. I have no relationship with Dive w/Martin or any other dive shop, travel agency, etc. I don't even get a discount at this dive shop.....dang!

Over the past 10 years I've dove w/ many dive shops in Cozumel, and I've taken many land-based and cruise-based trips. Comparing Dive w/ Martin to the other dive shops in the Caribbean/Gulf/U.S. leaves me with these impressions:

1. Dive w/ Martin is exceptionally safe (thorough briefs and attentive DM's who strictly follow safety guidelines, etc. )

2. Their staff is incredibly friendly and courteous (friendlier than ANY of the dive shops I've dealt with in the U.S., Caribbean, Gulf, etc.)

3. Their equipment is good, not great. Is it worn?...yes. Does it work?..yes.

4. Their dives are an incredible value....$65 for a 2-tank w/equipment? Unbelievable!

One other point, I want to also mention the important role that Dive w/Martin employees played in the recovery effort following Wilma. It was reported in the Mexican papers that they helped "lead" the effort in dive operations to help clean up the Cozumel reefs. Countless hours of diving without payment or compensation to help the local economy and the underwater environment....... I thanked them for that during my last dive there in Dec 05.

I strongly recommend them.

Glad to hear your opinions. I have heard good things about the company as well. Perhaps my experience was just a 'fluke'. However, it doesnt feel that way when you have a potentially life threatening equipment malfunction, and the dive master doesnt even acknowledge it.

I will say that they did have a great deal. The prices were out of this world. The boat was fairly nice, and your description of the equipment is correct - worn.

Im glad that others have had good experiences with them, but mine was unfortunately not.

• 2 weeks later...

DM was David, fun young guy that helps...2nd time with those guys!1-26-06 Off the Cruise ship- hey point out they are on the international pier and you can walk right up and still get an afternoon dive @ tanker for $65

Well reccomended....Try Maya Palms in Costa Maya and Tank ha in PDC...all well run and good fiolks!

Archived