Question about return flight time from Seattle Norwegian Star from Alaska

marcyjane

Hope someone has cruised the Star Seattle to Alaska that can help me out here.

We are getting ready to book our flights to & from Seattle. My question is will a 12:30pm flight be to early for getting off the ship and to Sea/Tac airport?

Thanks

Marcy:)

MarcyJane: When we did the Star last year, we had a 1:00 p.m. flight out. Of course, we were part of a travel agency group and had a bus to take us to the airport. NCL does a great job of assigning you a disembarkation color that allows you to get off in time for your flight. If you happen to get a color that you feel will push you too much, just take your tags to the Reception Desk and trade them. Remember to do this right away when you get them.

I will warn you about SeaTac airport, it is EXTEMELY busy on Sunday's as that is the day most cruise ships return. Our bus had to wait in a long line of vehicles (busses, taxis, etc.) just to get close enough to the curb to let us out. We waited over an hour to get to the ticket counter to turn in our baggage and then we waited another 30 minutes to get through the security checkpoint. Once you get past security, it is a very open and welcoming airport.

Give yourself plenty of time!

I am back from my mini-vacation and have gone through the steps for shore excursions.

1. Go to NCL's site. (www.ncl.com)

2.) Click on "Shore Excursions" in the group of links under the picture.

3.) Click on Alaska on the left side of the page.

4.) It then goes to a page that lists the port cities on the left.

**Note: it says that these are just a listing of the 2005 tours and prices. The 2006 listings will be up soon.

5.) You can click on the port cities to get a listing of tours available in each city.

6.) It also has an underlined "click here" in the middle of the page above the pictures. This link will take you to the pre-request form when it is available. If you click it now, it takes you the 2005 listings. I would keep checking it to see when it jumps to 2006.

7.) I would pick out your shore excursions and then book them as soon as NCL opens registration for them. Helicopter and dog sled tours usually sell out fast.

Hope this helps.

The Star is scheduled to arrive at Pier 66 at 7 am. My general rule of thumb is the eartliest to book a flight is a minimum of 4 hours after arrival. SeaTac Airport is a long drive from Pier 66.

I disagree with the earlier reply, I think SeaTac Airport's layout is terrible!

if your gate is at the far end of the airport terminal wings, it seems like it takes 15 to 20 minutes to walk to the them. Also, the transfer buses drop passengers off another long uphill walk of 5 to 10 minutes to the terminals main entrance. And I walked these distances on a fairly uncrowded and unbusy Saturday. You'd be walking these distances on a busy and crowded Sunday toting heavy luggage.

I'd would add one hour just to get from the transfer buses through security, and another quarter of an hour to get to your gate over my rule of thumb. 12:30 pm would be the earliest I would attempt to make. Is there a later flight you could take?

I would recommend a later flight, after 1:30 pm just in case you are delayed by a highway accident on the freeway.

It would be nice to hear what others recommend, and their past experience at SeaTac.

Archived