Swim-up bar vs winging it in Mahahual?

MKC529

Hi,

We are trying to decide what to do in Costa Maya... I've been reading the boards and winging it in Mahahual sounds great to DH and me. But our girls (ages 11 and 7) took one look at the pool w/ the swim up bar and are begging to go there.

I've read comments about how much more expensive food and drinks are at the pool so the poster went to Mahahual instead... but I haven't read a review from anyone that actually spent the day there... good or bad. Anyone? We are not too concerned about the drink prices as we are traveling with our beloved rug-rats and need to be semi-responsible! ;)

Depending on how long your ship is in port, you may have time to do both.

We were there on Dec. 13 on the Grand and had plenty of time for both. There were four of us, all adults and here's a rundown on our day.

We decided to rent a golf cart to go into Majahaul. You can rent them for $30 for two hours or $50 for all day. We just did two hours but were told that if we wanted to keep it longer, we could pay the other $20 when we returned. It's a 12 minute ride into Majahaul, a bit bummpy at times but very fun! You do have to go down their "highway" but it isn't scary at all, we only had three cars pass us and we just stayed to the shoulder of the road and all was well. (Taxis and buses are available as well at about $3pp, one way.)

After parking the cart at the little soccer field there we walked towards the beach. There are a lot of vendors and places to eat there. Vendors were a bit pushy but we just smiled and said "thanks" as we walked along. There is parasailing, massages, hair braiding, all that good stuff at the beach. We just looked for a place to sit and enjoy the beautiful day.

Ended up at the Cat's Meow where we had great service, great food and cheap drinks. For 4 adults to eat and drink for an hour and half was $28! The maragritas were awesome! The owner (a Canadian) came over to talk with us about the quality guidelines they follow in the kitchen which I though was nice.

The beach was beautiful and the water so warm, shallow and crystal clear. It's a prefect place for your kids to swim as it is nice and calm.

We also did a bit of shopping before heading back to the pier area. You can definately haggle with these folks and get some really good prices. I got a pair of leather sandals for $10, down from the asking price of $30.

Once we returned to the peir, we did a bit more browsing in the shops, didn't buy anything.

We got into the saltwater pool about 2:00. Water was a bit cool but you got used to it quickly. We hit the swim-up bar and got a round of drinks (medium size) for $30, tip included....much more expensive than in Majahaul! At 3:00 or so, there was a little show of dancers that came out and preformed on the edge of the pool. That was fun to watch.

We all finally headed back to the ship about 4:30.

It was a wonderful day, very relaxing.

I definately reccommend going into Majahaul to eat and drink and then just have one drink back at the peir.

I hope that this has helped. If you have any others questions, please ask away.

Happy Holidays!

LuckyKing,

Thanks for the info... great idea to do both! And eating/drinking for almost 2 hours for under $30 vs. $30 for one round of drinks! Yikes! That's exactly the info I needed to hear... especially since Costa Maya is our last port before heading home! Money could be scarce! :D

If you could post a couple photos that would be great!!

See if this link works. If you scroll across the squares at the bottom, you will get thumbnails. The beginning and the end of the slides are of the beach area and the pool area.

I agree with the previous poster, both could be done. Have a great time!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=27363280207.33885024407.1135356502043&conn_speed=1

darn. Maybe you have to be a kodakgallery member to access it.

Sorry.

Try this:http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&mode=fromsite&collid=27363280207.33885024407.1135356502043&conn_speed=1

I invited myself and then cut and pasted the link.

Let me know if this works.

just got back from costa maya. it was the nicest port on our tour, but everything was more expensive there than it should have been. the cheapest drinks were $5, and the deluxe drink was approaching $10.

the pool was really neat, with swim-up bar. we went to the chachoben mayan ruins and the town of Mahahual instead (otherwise known as "fishing village"), although if we had brought our swimwear we would have swam in Mahahual. bring your swim trunks. there is a bar there (in the town, near the entrance), with tables on the beach operated by a woman from canada. she was very nice and sells margaritas for around $5 and you can swim in the nice blue water there.

we took our tour of the ruins with "island marketing" and the contractors they had set up for that purpose. our driver was very nice, and the guide was also, but we were promised a ride back to port after shopping which we did not get because we evidently took too long. we ended up needing to take a cab back. no big deal and it was cheap, but if someone tells us they are going to give me a ride back into town I expect them to do so and if there is some sort of timeframe involved we should be made aware of that.

some of the shopping in Mahahual was the CHEAPEST on the entire tour! there was stuff there that was more in the other ports. prices can vary greatly. check with more than one merchant and haggle before buying - this will enable you to get an idea of what the lowball number is. I had one guy try to sell me a chess set for $50 that I got for $20 from another guy. it's funny how much the prices can vary. you will not get to haggle or get any deals at the port here - you must go to Mahahual to shop for less.

Costa Maya is a beautiful port - the pier is VERY commercialized. We did the ruins tour with David and Ivan (prounounced E-von) and it was worth every penny. After the tour, we had some drinks and food at the cats meow. Buckets of 6 beers (coronoa, sol, dos xx, etc~you could even mix and match) for $10 and huge margaritas that were potent for $4.95. The Cats Meow is owned by a Canadian and assured us that all of there water is purified and no one would be getting sick (unless it was from drinking too much). The environment was fun and friendly. Had we brought our swim gear, we would have had time to swim in the beautiful water. We took a taxi back to the pier for $2/person and had our first look at the swim up bar. This was at the end of our day, so I am sure that some of these people had been there the entire day. People were SOOOO drunk and couldn't even walk and seemed to be getting sick over the side of the pool and acting very obnoxious. This did not seem to be a good environment for families. I would stick with Majahual. Happy Travels

Amanda

Hi there

Wife and I are expected to be there in March. I have plans to do the tour with David and Ivan. Everything I read says that swimming in Mahajual is is nice.

My questions are -

1) after the tour to the ruins is there enough time to swim

2) is there any changing facilities at the breach or should we wear the bathing suits the whole day?

There is so much-- I want to do it all.

Jack

Hi there

Wife and I are expected to be there in March. I have plans to do the tour with David and Ivan. Everything I read says that swimming in Mahajual is is nice.

My questions are -

1) after the tour to the ruins is there enough time to swim

2) is there any changing facilities at the breach or should we wear the bathing suits the whole day?

There is so much-- I want to do it all.

Jack

You will love the tour with David and Ivan! Yes, there will be plenty of time for you to swim and enjoy some food and beverage. Most of the establishments across from the beach have bathrooms. If you choose to return to the Cats Meow (this is where we met up with David and Ivan), you will be all set. They have bathrooms for changing and good prices for food and drinks. Have fun!

Amanda

You can also look at my Costa Maya/Mahahual photos if you want.

Costa Maya photo gallery

My kids had a great time on the beach in Mahahual. The food and drinks are definitely less expensive there than at the cruiseline built port facilities at Costa Maya. Actually, everything is less expensive there.

Sure, the big pool looks nice, but it is unheated salt water, so playing in the ocean with a soft sandy bottom might be more appealing.

I'd recommend just going straight to Mahahual and if they don't enjoy being there, tell them you'll stop at the "pool place" on the way back to the ship. I'm betting they'll like the beach more and not want to leave.

Thanks for the posts!

We will definitely be heading straight to Mahahual and stopping at the pool "if we have time" (every parent's famous last words....)

We live on the coast so our kids love the beach... but they're used to the ocean being about 50 degrees - in August! :rolleyes: I can't wait to see their faces when they get in the water and it doesn't make their bones ache!

Only 4 more days! Yippee!

Bruce-R - great photos - the place where you stayed for the day by the beach and tiki huts - where is that? My husband and I are pretty fair skinned and always like to have a place for shade. Are there huts available throughout the beach area or just where you went? Was there drink/food service there or did you have to get things yourself?

Thanks!

Bruce-R - great photos - the place where you stayed for the day by the beach and tiki huts - where is that? My husband and I are pretty fair skinned and always like to have a place for shade. Are there huts available throughout the beach area or just where you went? Was there drink/food service there or did you have to get things yourself?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone.

The part of the beach we were at was right across the road from:

12hotelmahahual.jpg

With a red-head, fair skinned child that only freckles, shade was important to us too. There were quite a few places that had shade.

The food we ate came from:

13restaurantmahahaul.jpg

Several restaurants put out tables/chairs in order to attract customers. You are expected to buy some food/drinks if you use their furniture, which you were probably planning to do anyway.

We had chicken fajitas, chips and salsa, and conch and shrimp ceviche. It was the first time DS had ceviche. He's been talking about it ever since, and that was in March 2004. Last week in Cozumel, he had conch ceviche twice the first day at Paradise Beach.

Bruce-r, thank you so much for the pictures. Our ship wasn't able to port in Costa Maya in March 05, but fortunately we're going back in March 06. Majahaul looks perfect for us. I really appreciate the shot of the horses. My 7 yr old daughter loves riding horses, so this will be a special treat for her!

Bruce - Great pictures. You did a very comprehensive job!

Sheffie:

1st, thanks for the photos. We are heading to Costa Maya on the Grand Princess on 4/1. 2nd, it appears that you have done Celebrity and Princess recently. In short, how would you compare the food and service? Thanks.

Sheffie:

1st, thanks for the photos. We are heading to Costa Maya on the Grand Princess on 4/1. 2nd, it appears that you have done Celebrity and Princess recently. In short, how would you compare the food and service? Thanks.

That sure is a loaded question!!!! They both were very good. I didn't really enjoy the anytime dining on Princess, but a lot like it. I like having the same waiter and eating with the same people every night.

I thought the service and food on Celebrity were a small step above. Celebrity's service is a little classier.

If I had a Celebrity ship and a Princess ship, same size, same itinerary, same port times, I would go with the Celebrity ship.

If the port times were shorter on the Celebrity ship, (which they seem to be!) I would pick Princess.

Both are great lines.

Bruce - Great pictures. You did a very comprehensive job!
Thanks. I tried to take photos that I wish I had seen before we when there for the first time.

Bruce, How much ws it to get emily's hair braided, thin king of having it done when i'm down there

Thanks Nanc

I'm not sure. When I asked DW, she told me "You don't want to know", so it was probably over $20, but not too much more. If you get more than a few rows done, try to bargain with the person a bit.

Archived