Some questions...Cruising the Majesty 1/7

AdamKPL

First of all Happy Holidays and best wishes for a great new year to all!

Me and my girlfriend (20/21) are cruising on the Majesty 1/7 from SC to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Key West...first cruise ever :)

1. What does freestyle cruising mean exactly? What should we expect different compared to an all inclusive resort that we are used to going to in the Caribbean?

2. I hear people talking about drink cards, paying for the waters in the rooms, etc...Is it a better idea to just bring a big 30 pack of water bottles and not have to hassle with that?

3. Does anyone have any pictures from the Majesty, the ones on the website are just a tease?

4. I decided not to book the excursions in advance because usually the hotels and travel agencies we've stayed at jack up the prices so I decided to wait to get there and do that to save some $$$...any tips?

5. We have an ocean view state room on the bottom deck (Catgory H) is that really super bad in terms of shakiness, I read that someone said the bottom rooms are the worst, why?

Thanks in advance to any replies. Again best wishes for great new years :)

First of all Happy Holidays and best wishes for a great new year to all!

Me and my girlfriend (20/21) are cruising on the Majesty 1/7 from SC to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Key West...first cruise ever :)

1. What does freestyle cruising mean exactly? What should we expect different compared to an all inclusive resort that we are used to going to in the Caribbean?

Basically, FreeStyle offers a few major differences; (1) No specified time and place for dinner. You pick the restaurant and time, and there are some restaurants that accept reservations, and some of them apply an additional fee. The Majesty has two such "Specialty" restaurants, Le Bistro has the added fee, and the "Pasta Cafe" has no added fee. (2) $10 per person per day is added to your bill for tips to be distributed via NCL's methodology, which includes waitstaff and cabin stewards among others. There is much more to say on this subject, as many if not most do provide additionals tips where deemed appropriate. (3) Dress for dinner is "resort casual", no shorts, T-shirts, etc. Formal nights on the ship are optional, but available to those who opt for such dress. Usually twice per cruise.

2. I hear people talking about drink cards, paying for the waters in the rooms, etc...Is it a better idea to just bring a big 30 pack of water bottles and not have to hassle with that?

3. Does anyone have any pictures from the Majesty, the ones on the website are just a tease?

See Below

4. I decided not to book the excursions in advance because usually the hotels and travel agencies we've stayed at jack up the prices so I decided to wait to get there and do that to save some $$$...any tips?

5. We have an ocean view state room on the bottom deck (Catgory H) is that really super bad in terms of shakiness, I read that someone said the bottom rooms are the worst, why?

We were in a Superior Ocean view, Cat D, Deck 3, and felt no "shakes". I did lots of reading prior to our June cruise, but do not recall that being a problem. Normally, low, mid ship is the most stable.

Thanks in advance to any replies. Again best wishes for great new years :)

Sorry I can't be more helpful at this time, but we've got lots to do this evening. However, I did make a few notes above, and have provided a website for you below;

Check out this site for info on the Majesty, including lots of past passenger photos:

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/norwegianmajesty.htm

I hope you have a great cruise. We have only been on NCL, and love FreeStyle, and other than the one Majesty cruise, have only been on the large ships. We had a great time on the Majesty, and found it difficult to compare the two, other than size of ship, smaller crew, proportionately fewer activities, lounges, restaurants, etc. We would definetely like to return.

1. The Norwegian Majesty has the following restaurants:

Seven Seas Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Dress Code: No shorts or jeans after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Hours:

Breakfast: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Lunch: 12:00 noon – 2:30 p.m.

Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.

Four Seasons Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Hours:

Breakfast: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Lunch: 12:00 noon – 2:30 p.m.

Dinner: 5:30 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.

Le Bistro

Cuisine: Light Italian & Continental

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Reservations Required: Yes

Hours: Check onboard

Café Royale

Cuisine: Assorted Buffet, Snacks

Dress Code: Casual

Hours:

Breakfast: 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.

Lunch: 12:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.

Dinner: 6:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.

Piazza San Marco

Cuisine: Hamburgers, Hot Dogs/ Pizza, Ice Cream

Dress Code: Casual

Hours: Check onboard

2. Why pay for bottled water aboard the ship, when there's plenty of drinking water available for the taps. I suggest carrying a sports's water bottle aboard, and continously refill it. I have never heard anyone say that the drinking water aboard any ship tasted bad. Besides, all fresh water goes through the same reverse osmosis process bottled drinking water you buy does.

3. All my pictures are Bermuda, sorry I didn't take many aboard.

Have you checked out this web site for some Majesty photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/tpokels

4. Read the port of call cruise critic forums, specially those you are visiting, and pick up some recommendations, then book them before sailing, if you wish to save money. I usually just book them off the ship.

5. Actually, the bottom cabins are more stable from pitching and rolling. All aft cabins, it doesn't matter which deck, can experience vibrations from the propellers. Aft lower deck cabins may hear the diesel engines running.

Forward lower deck cabins may experience noises when the anchor is dropped or raised. All forward cabins, not just the lower deck cabins, can experience pitching in heavy seas.

Have a great cruise.

Archived