Xunantunich Mayan Ruins tour??

Dennislee2

Hello,

I haven't seen much information on the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins tours? I prefer to do a private tour instead of Carnival's excursion, but would like more information.

We are going on the Miracle in August, with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Belize and one of my primary goals is to see Mayan Ruins. I've heard and read many things on different locations and I would like to hear from people on the Xunantunich trip. I'm not interested in the tours that take 3-4 hours to get there and then back again.

Thanks in advance for any advice... :confused:

Also curious, how hot is it in the Western Carribbean in August? :eek:

Just returned rcl enchantment 12/19/05. We toured Chichen Itza 5/04 and Xanantunich. Both are nice. Chichen Itza is better! Marimba Lunch was YUK!! You almost could rent a car and drive it just get on the road and go. I did see a couple with a private guide. You NEED a guide or you will get nothing out of it. There are no markers. Read these boards Lamanai sounds better. Also see my comment regarding wheelchairs under disabled section.

Hello,

I haven't seen much information on the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins tours? I prefer to do a private tour instead of Carnival's excursion, but would like more information.

We are going on the Miracle in August, with stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Belize and one of my primary goals is to see Mayan Ruins. I've heard and read many things on different locations and I would like to hear from people on the Xunantunich trip. I'm not interested in the tours that take 3-4 hours to get there and then back again.

Thanks in advance for any advice... :confused:

Also curious, how hot is it in the Western Carribbean in August? :eek:

I personally would take the boat tour. This tour will take you from Belize City to the Guatemala border. Just came back off the Veendam on 12/27/05 - & I can tell you it was a 9 hour tour. Just made it back & no time for shopping. If you are looking for this ruins - search under El Castillo. Very Impressive. 130 feet straight up with a warm up walk that is at a 60 degree angle. Make sure are in tip top shape -- especially in August. May & Tulum was a steam bath & you will be late summer and further south. I want to let everyone know that I did it - I am overweight & deathly afraid of heights (& with a broken elbow 2 months earlier) -- if you climb to the top of El Castillo -- the stairs are quite difficult in spots & 1 mis-step will have you falling. El Castillo is what you have to hold onto!!! I even had to crawl up some stairs as my short legs couldn't step up on them. It was an adventure. But take the boat tour!!! Also - the lunch & band were nourshing & the punch was made of Mango, passion fruit, etc. Heaven. Our two guides were very good, too.

If you are going to any ruins, I can vouch for Kohunlich(sic) in Costa Maya -- again take the boat tour. This was across & way down into Mexico - almost to Belize. Our boat waited for us. This area had many more buildings & a face mask area. Also a couple of places to climb. They took us to a little town - Balanca(SIC-no info here) for lunch - better than in Belize - plus it was a buffet in a restaurant on a lagoon. Exclusive neighborhood. Our guide was really into it & our 6.75 hour tour lasted a while longer. This tour was more expensive, tho. Took two kids - adults & another family had 10-11 years old (not their cup of tea) and we all had a good time. Even lunch - $2.00 for beer & $ 4.00 for sunrise margarita. YUM. My picky eater kids went back for seconds.

I can say that I really enjoyed both tours. Sat in the hot tub after El Castillo tho.

Another answer - each tour is 2 hours each way. Go to AAA & get a map of Mexico -- then you can find them. Costa Maya is Mah..... -- only little place on the coast just north of Belize.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom for the information.

Are you from Belize?

Also, do know about Cave Tubing? I'm trying to decide about the two excursions. I also want to keep in mind the time of year we are going, 1st full week of August, 2006.

Thanks in advance...

Thanks Tom for the information.

Also, do know about Cave Tubing? I'm trying to decide about the two excursions. I also want to keep in mind the time of year we are going, 1st full week of August, 2006.

Hello Tom,

After doing more research on the boards, I realize the question above is pretty dumb. :o

I'll be emailing you about Cave Tubing with a few more questions... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to know about the Mayan Ruins........

We will be in Belize next Thurs and wanted to go to the ruins.

RCI tour is the The Mayan Ruins of Xunantunich & Marimba Lunch ($90pp) and lasts 7.5 hrs......

I do not think that we will have any shopping/touring time in Belize, so I want to know if this excursion is worth the time and money.

Anyone Know??

Archived