Looking for a nice beach on our own...anyone know of any

Bostontraveler

We are traveling to belize on the Carnival Miracle in Feb and want to just find a beach on our own, does anyone know of any that would just be able to go to without having to book in advance? We are scheduled for excursions at every other port and want to use Belize as a relax day.

Thanks for any help!

Amy :)

Hard to find a beach in Belize, as poster above said, you have to go to one of the islands or cayes. I just responded to a post about Caye Caulker, very laid back, can take a water taxi but someone mentioned taking a small airplane, and island doesn't have any cars, have to ride around in golf carts and its so much fun.

It would be your best bet for a great relaxing day, no crowds, no commercialization, it's wonderful, I could go back and stay there for a week!

NO admission...you just have to pay to get there...either by water taxi or by plane...around $18usd cash round trip for water taxi & around $30usd cash for the plane....(at least the last time I was there)

Caye Caulker is a 5 mile long island that no cars are allowed on...and yes there are resteraunts too. People actually live on this caye. It is North East of the pier in Belize City about 11 miles out and is right on the barrier reef...

Caulker is a much larger caye than the smaller Rendevous and Goff's cayes (which pretty much look like little "gilligan's islands"~and are more of a "private island" experience...) Caulker is more developed... where the other places aren't.

Also PS:

There is a BEACH IN BELIZE:

There is a man-made beach/marina called Cucumber beach...a 5 mile taxi ride from the pier at the Old Belize Museum.

It is $10 to go to the museum and the beach...

or $5 to just use the beach alone...

Here is there website:

www.oldbelize.com

I don't think it is nearly as beautiful as the cayes... and there isn't any snorkeling there because you are no where near the reef...but it is a nice cheap option!

Whatever you do....have fun!

TravelWorks,

Caye Caulker sounds just what our group is looking for. How is the snorkeling? Can you rent equipment there?

THe snorkeling is fine...a lot of people go on their own from the split...but I really like taking a snorkel boat out a little further...it really depends on the time frame...the whole caye is just a neat experience because it is such a great little community!

SNORKELS

I don't recommend renting...mostly because I really have got a fettish about putting things in my mouth when I don't know where it has been....plus I rented a mask once that leaked so bad I nearly drowned while diving and spent 80% of my time trying to keep my mask clear....miserable!

I BOUGHT MY SET FOR AROUND $50 (made sure my mask fit my face and my fins are just my size...literally...they are not adjustable...they fit my foot like a glove) AND IT CAME WITH A GREAT CARRYING CASE...+ MY "EASY CLEAR/EASY BREATH" VENT ON MY SNORKEL IS SO GREAT I NEVER GET WATER IN MY MOUTH OR HAVE TO CLEAR MY TUBE... It just makes for a better experience.

TIPS FOR SNORKEL CARE:

...I always rinse it in fresh water when I am done~put it in the bottom of your shower & let it take one!

....NEVER WHERE SUNSCREEN on your face before you snorkel...not only can it make your mask leak....but the chemicals slowly deteriorate the seal of the mask over time...

Instead wear a hat to keep sun off your face before you get in the water...your face is mostly down while snorkeling(it is your back and rear end and calfs that take the sun while you are snorkeling!)

RENT FROM CRUISELINES:

You used to be able to rent equipment from the cruise ships and take it off the boat with you....That way you have it with you when you arrive to the beach...I think it was around $5 a day on average to do this~ but I would call your cruise line and verify this because I am not sure if they still do this!

RENT FROM DIVE SHOPS....Almost every dive shop I have ever been to also rents/sells equipment... and they are all over the entire caribbean........and yes there are dive shops on Caye Caulker! But you might not get as good of a deal purchasing equipment down there!

GETTING AROUND CAYE CAULKER: By foot...or you can rent a bike or a golf cart.

Last time I was there the bike was around $2.50 an hour and the golf cart were around $10 an hour.

THE WATER TAXI: The time it took was around 45 minutes to get there...it really depends on which boat you take...some are slightly faster taxi's...but give yourself plenty of time to get back! So go over as early as possible~so you have time to enjoy the day before you have to go back!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Cucumber Beach?? The website looks great and the beach area is described as rustic but looks nice. Restaurant and bar there and some type of museum and tour of Belize which is part of the $10 admission fee.

I wonder how much for a taxi??

Thanks!

If you go to Cay Caulker by water taxi be sure to check the schedule. When we were there, there was about 90 minutes between "taxis." Also, be sure to get to the water taxi pier a few minutes early. They fill up and you would not want to miss the ship.

I am worried about the water taxi back. I am in port from 8-5PM. So..I would have to hussle over...to where? and catch a water taxi to Caye Caulker...but I dont know the schedule in Belize. THen I have to give myself enough tmie for the 45 minutes ride back and the 90 minutes between taxi's. Does that give me an hour or so there?

Karyn

Archived