Newbie to Tendering

DBL007

I've only been on one other cruise (Carnival) which all our stops were docked, and am sailing out Jan.8 on RCL Jewel of the Sea's. Two of our stops are tendered, one being Cozumel. I've read mixed reviews on the state of Cozumel and the tendering process. Should I book an excursion through RCL instead of independantly? Does it make it easier/faster to get off and back on the ship? Is tendering in Coz really that difficult? Is it always a difficult process as we are tendered in George Town as well?

:confused:

Also, does anyone reccomend any excursions either through RCL or independantly? We're interested in the ruins, snorkeling, local market type shopping.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just so confused and the cruise is soon!

I've tendered a few times on cruises and will be doing so next week while in Cozumel since the piers were damaged. While I prefer to dock as it makes coming and going much easier, tendering has never been a huge problem. It does take a bit longer since you have to wait for the tender to dock, transit, etc. However, they usually have more than one running, so as one is loading at the ship, another is loading at the pier. Of course, in Cozumel, things may be different.

I wouldn't worry too much. However, I'd make sure to take everything you need with you as you wont want to go back to the ship until you're ready to return permanently; it's just not worth the hassle. Thus, if you're going to spend a day ashore, find a good restuarant to eat at as it wont be worth the journey back to the ship just to do lunch.

Hey there...from what I've seen, all tours whether they are part of your cruiseline or done independently - everyone has to get on the tendor to the mainland to start any tour. So, it won't matter what tours you decide to do, you'll have to take the same tendor like everyone else first. I'm not sure who runs the tendors, but I don't think you should be worried about it whether you're in Cozumel or anywhere else. The only time I've seen it really get crowded is first thing in the morning as many people want to get to the mainland. I think the ship will recommend your getting to the gangway (where the tendor will be loading) about 15-30 minutes before your tour starts. That should be plenty of time. I just don't remember any delays or dangers of any kind on a tendor...in Cozumel or Georgetown ..they can take quite a number of people at once. Hope this helps and happy cruising!

On our Splendour cruise last week the first tender went to the mainland for the shore tours there. After that they boarded the tenders but did not have tender tickets. Each tender took from 400 to 500 pax max so basically after 2 of them everybody that wanted to get off was off at the first. Our tour had 10 of its 18 after the first tender and was just waiting for the 2nd one to arrive but was canceled due to weather before it arrived. Loading was slow dur to the very marginal weather and I estimate normal loading time would be about 20 minutes each.

I've not been on the ship you'll be on, but have been on 3 others.

We tendered twice on my most recent cruise.

This is how it went.

All those taking a ship's tour were asked to collect 'tickets'. Then they'd to wait in allocated area's of one of the Lounges. Each tour would be called separately and they'd go on the tender. It wasn't until all ships' tours were away that the rest of the ships' passengers were allowed on to the Tenders. It took approx 1 to 1.5 hours after weighing Anchor I think.

Our Tenders were the Life Boats. They'd come up to a hatch in the side of the ship and you'd step on, with help from crew. Only one person could step on/off at a time. Our ship used 3. One at the ship, one on the Dock and one in transit so they were very frequent.

If it is windy/choppy waters then things were different. It is very difficult for the tender to stay next to the ship and they really emphasise keeping all limbs etc inside the Tender (ie no arms out the window!)

This was a problem we had at Mayreau.

We were all waiting for the Tender back to the ship when they stopped coming. Unfortunately no-one from the Ship thought to let us know so we all just lined up in the boiling heat. We eventually figured out that they'd decided to open a hatch on the other side of the ship due to the choppy water. It wasn't particularly windy either.

This took a little time and of course there were full tenders still needing to offload passengers. Even when we went back the crossing was on the rough side and it took a while for the Tender to get up beside the Ship.

To my knowledge no one was hurt, so it was all handled well.

On all three ships I've been on the experience at Mayreau was the most 'interesting'. My kids just viewed the Tender as another method of transport.

Archived