Costa Allegra

Linda-B

We will be traveling on an Costa Allegra for 11 days on 2/21/05.(Colon, Puerto Limon, Montego Bay, Progresso and Grand Cayman.)

We would love to hear from anyone who has traveled on her or on this itinerary.

There is very little written about Costa Allegra and some of these ports .

We will be on the 1/08/06 cruise and will post a review when we return.

Several people did not seem to like Progresso, but we are looking forward to visiting Merida for the day (less than an hour drive from the port). This city is the capital of Yucatan and reviewers have praised it for being the "real" Mexico. Since I spent six weeks working in Mexico City a few years ago, I am prepared to see anything!

Panama and Costa Rica are the main reasons we booked this tour. In fact, the Costa itineraries seem to be why most people are attracted to the line. The calls at Jamaica and Grand Cayman are less interesting to us, but we will make the most of them.

My wife and I are going on the Allegra departing on Jan. 8. This cruise has not been advertised much in North America. I think it's been mostly sold to Europeans. In fact, the onboard currency is in Euros. Costa is supposed to be a cashless ship and everything is charged to your cabin. I guess when the final bill comes, it will be placed on your Visa or Mastercard and you will be charged the equivalent in US $$ or Can. $$.

Lorne + Angela

Yes, the ship's currency is the Euro. This will be a new thing for some North Americans, but should not cause alarm. Yahoo posts currency exchange rate on its main site every day. Right now, it has one $US equal to 0.8456 Euros (or one Euro equal to 1.1826 $US).

At the end of the cruise, Costa will charge your credit card for all your shipboard expenses and excursions. Your credit card company will do the conversion and charge your account in US or Canadian dollars according to your preferences. My past experience with this has been that the credit card companies have given excellent rates of exchange.

As for Costa's advertising of this cruise, I can only say that we heard about it via a local Florida TA. The cost and itinerary were too good to pass up! Several of our friends have cruised Costa in Europe and said they enjoyed meeting non-Americans. We are hoping for the same.

See you on the boat!

Hey everyone!

We are just off the Celebrity Galaxy cruise and when we saw the Allegra in Grand Cayman. There where quite a few large swells that day and you could see the Allegra bouncing up and down! I have been wondering is that ship rough? Also where does this ship leave from?

thanks

Costa Allegra departs from Miami on 11-day Western Caribbean cruises. Grand Cayman is her last port of call on the way back to Miami. I expect she would bounce around quite a bit because of her size. She has stabilizers, so we hear. We've been on two previous cruiseships of comparable size and had no problem. Hopefully this one will be the same.

Archived