Apple Watch

dogsaysmoo

I just got an Apple Watch a couple months ago. I plan on using it on my upcoming cruise. I do not plan on purchasing an internet package. That being said, what features will/won’t work? I know the HUB app isn’t Apple Watch compatible, so I won’t get those notifications, what else?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've gone on two cruises with my Apple Watch, the first I did not have an internet plan at all and the second I had the social plan.

Activity tracking will still work, as will basic watch functionality (including alarms, stopwatches, etc). GPS-based workouts will obviously be wonky if the ship is moving, but step tracking still seemed to work fine.

Hub app notifications actually do show up on your watch. You just have to go to your iPhone to see more than just the notification.

As a side note, the funny thing about having the social plan was that all push notifications actually came through (including news alerts, etc) even though I couldn't use that app...

GPS was hilarious as when I was walking around the track it seemed to be tracking up really fast. I did a mile I think in 3 min lol. But step tracking is fine and any apps that it syncs with will generally sync up once you get back on line as everything is stored in the Health app anyways.

Activity tracking will still work, as will basic watch functionality (including alarms, stopwatches, etc). GPS-based workouts will obviously be wonky if the ship is moving, but step tracking still seemed to work fine.

I walked ~four miles while on a sea day on the Dream Promenade Deck. My GPS on the Apple Watch picked up the forward movement of the ship and recorded >20 miles. The rest of the trip I used it as an “indoor walk” and it got closer to the real walking distance. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The “preferred” method of communication between the Watch & iPhone is Bluetooth. When your watch is farther than that from phone, communication is via WiFi. Since I almost always have my phone on me, i can’t remember how it behaved.

Yep...I got all my notifications and alerts on my watch without an Internet package. Was quite nice to remind me of events. There are also some stand alone GPS apps that let you see where you are as well as a watch face that has your location.

Yep...I got all my notifications and alerts on my watch without an Internet package. Was quite nice to remind me of events. There are also some stand alone GPS apps that let you see where you are as well as a watch face that has your location.

Interesting :cool:

Last week on the Magic, several people were talking about their smart watches and they forgot at first that the watch would self adjust to whatever time zone they were in. Remember to always stay on ship time in port.

Neither my watch nor my phone ever changed time zone. It is set by the cell network and it never touched the cell network, just the internet via wifi. ATT was the provider.

Neither my watch nor my phone ever changed time zone. It is set by the cell network and it never touched the cell network, just the internet via wifi. ATT was the provider.

If you put the phone in airplane mode, I believe the phone/watch will not change time zones.