How do you pack a suit?

I know most people put their suit in a garment bag but I would like to pack my son's suits so they don't have to carry them with a carryon bag.

I have three teenage son's and with husband's suit is alot to carry on.

Has anyone had luck with packing their suit in a suitcase?

Here's what we do:

Lay the suit jacket on a bed and open it up. Place the pants, folded in half, inside the jacket and button it closed. Fold each sleeve straight across the chest. Place a rolled towel at the collar. Starting a the collar, roll the suit with the towel in it. You'll have no wrinkles.

Good luck.

I have always packed DH suit in the suitcase. I just fold it carefully and hang it up first thing when we get our luggage-- never had any wrinkles. I think most suit fabrics are substantial enough that they don't wrinkle easily. A linen suit might be a problem, though. Have a great cruise!

Do not laugh, this really works. You will most likely have the suit cleaned and pressed befor your trip. STOP! Roll the suit up in a tight ball and place in the corner of the suit case. When you get on board you put it in the dry clean bag from your cabin and have it cleaned and pressed on board. The cost is almost the same as on land. Your suit will look great and you can do the same for the return trip home when you will need every inch of suit case.

Do not laugh, this really works. You will most likely have the suit cleaned and pressed befor your trip. STOP! Roll the suit up in a tight ball and place in the corner of the suit case. When you get on board you put it in the dry clean bag from your cabin and have it cleaned and pressed on board. The cost is almost the same as on land. Your suit will look great and you can do the same for the return trip home when you will need every inch of suit case.

I think that is the best idea! :)

We always pack all the good clothes in the plastic dry cleaner bags. Cotton dress shirts, suits, gowns, slacks...pack one or two or three items in each bag and simply fold in half in a suitcase. Similar to mnif you were holding dry cleaning over your arm to bring it into the house. We always leave on hangers and alternate directions of the clothes inside the bag so there is never an area that the hangers bulk up. We hang up once on board as is and we never have to touch up. Longer dresses can get folded in thirds sucessfully across the length of the bag. It's amazing how much you can pack with this method and have no issue when you unpack. Don't be afraid to push everything down with the top of the suitcase either. We take one bag just for the good clothes and DH and I get all out things in this one shared bag. (We do worry however if this is the bag that gets lost!) We usually leave all the plastic bags inside the suitcase when we put them away for the next time.

Archived