Who to snorkel with and Where?

newbie280106

Hi,

my boyfriend and I are stopping in Grand Cayman later this month with VOS and would like to do some snorkelling. I've seen mention of buccaneer, nativeway and captain marvin. Any reviews on these or other companies would be appreciated. Of course we could also go with RCI.

We'd like to stop in multiple places, see some sealife, reefs and I'd like to see the stingrays (my boyfriend is not so sure). Are there specific sites we should target?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The only place to see the Stingrays is Stingray city. Everyone always metions Captain Marvin and a few others. We were told by friends to take the earlies RCI boat to Sting Ray city as the Rays will be hungrier in the morning.

The Rays are very sociable and seem to enjoy the interaction as much as we do. I'm pretty sure you'd have to intentionally try to maim a ray to get stung.

We're snorkeling off the beach this trip. Planning on hitting Cemetary Reef and possibly Cheeseburger reef.

mjd

The only place to see the Stingrays is Stingray city. Everyone always metions Captain Marvin and a few others. We were told by friends to take the earlies RCI boat to Sting Ray city as the Rays will be hungrier in the morning.

The Rays are very sociable and seem to enjoy the interaction as much as we do. I'm pretty sure you'd have to intentionally try to maim a ray to get stung.

We're snorkeling off the beach this trip. Planning on hitting Cemetary Reef and possibly Cheeseburger reef.

mjd

Do you go snorkling on your own ,? if so how do you get to these places if you are renting a car ,?

Hockeyboy...how do you plan to get to Cemetery reef and Chesseburger reef? I've been trying to decide if to do the Soto's tour or just shore snorkle. My husband prefers the shore snorkeling on our own, and I just can't decide. I posts questions on another GC board and it seems quite a few posters are pushing the tours (wonder if they are getting any $ out of it?) to the point that they are making mad by not answering what I specifically asked. Here's what I'd like to know:

1) Would we take a taxi or bus to where we want to snorkle?

2) How much would we expect to pay for transportation to Cemetery?

There are just too many choices!!!! Thanks, SKM

Hockeyboy...how do you plan to get to Cemetery reef and Chesseburger reef? I've been trying to decide if to do the Soto's tour or just shore snorkle. My husband prefers the shore snorkeling on our own, and I just can't decide. I posts questions on another GC board and it seems quite a few posters are pushing the tours (wonder if they are getting any $ out of it?) to the point that they are making mad by not answering what I specifically asked. Here's what I'd like to know:

If you want to just snorkel, you can go to the beaches along 7 Mile Beach. If you want to snorkel with the stingrays at Stingray City, you can NOT do it from a beach.

No, we aren't getting $$ out of it, we were just thrilled with our excursions and want to pass on the information.

1. Yes, you can take a taxi to the beaches.

2. I have no clue.

I feel the same as you , if you are in Caymen and just want to drive to a spot to snorkle ,where can you go ?, So you can snorkle on your own , Areas that you can go where it is okay , i know some places are very strict because people ruin the coral reef , , But are there places to go on your own , Ive read about Rum point and the area by the beach for star fish

Now Sheffie, if you reread my post it says that I was on ANOTHER GC site that was insisting on us doing tours on GC, instead of answering my specific questions about us exploring on our own. I wasn't wondering if anyone HERE is compensated for recommending a tour, I was wondering about the posters on the OTHER site. Recommending something because you had a good time doing it is fine w/ me, and I'm open to suggestions. I just can't understand why they would insist on telling me to try something that I had already told them I wasn't interested in, and not try to answer my other questions. SKM

Now Sheffie, if you reread my post it says that I was on ANOTHER GC site that was insisting on us doing tours on GC, instead of answering my specific questions about us exploring on our own. I wasn't wondering if anyone HERE is compensated for recommending a tour, I was wondering about the posters on the OTHER site. Recommending something because you had a good time doing it is fine w/ me, and I'm open to suggestions. I just can't understand why they would insist on telling me to try something that I had already told them I wasn't interested in, and not try to answer my other questions. SKM

:o Mea culpa.

Here is a link to a map of GC: http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cy/wcmap.shtml

You have to take a boat out to Stingray City, you can not get there on your own.

Cemetary Reef is at the far end of 7 Mile Beach.

Thank-you So much for this map info , This is the one I have been looking for , I do not know how I over looked this post of yours , i have one of cancun like this which I recieved from

www.cancunmap.com or contact Laura@cancunmap.com

Thanks for all your good info of places to go , There is so much to read on this site that things can get overlooked or misunderstood ,

Our ship arrives at 12 noon and leaves at 7pm, Will this give us time to get over to rum point and return

ANNE :)

Archived