Snorkling in Roatan Honduras?

b-lis

I read somwhere that there was a great beach for snorkling and sun bathing on Roatan, but I can't seem to find any information about it on-line. I remember that it was a good beach, with snorkling just off the beach with a reef or something???

Does anyone have any information or experience in Roatan? Or any good ideas?

We are headed there on an NCL Cruise next week, and wanted to make somewhat final plans that everyone would agree on, and this was what everyone thought sounded good.

Well if anyone has any info, we would appreciate it,

THANKS!

:cool:

I originally posted this under the thread about diving in Roatan, but here's the info again however you should know that their beach is small and may not be what you are looking for. Right next door is Fantasy Island (http://www.fantasyislandresort.com), and they have a great beach, water sports and a bar. The price to spend the day there may be a bit more, but the snorkeling is still awesome and extends to the front of Coco View. Here's the original info...

Check out Coco View (http://www.cocoviewresort.com). If you arrange it ahead of time they will pick you up at the cruise pier for a small fee. The reef in front of their resort is great and the Wreck of the Prince Albert is just a short swim from their front door (saw frog fish, green moray eel and lots of fish). Our non-diving friends went with us and enjoyed the day at Coco View for $8 (taxi & lunch included) a piece. Quite a deal considering others paid over $60 for a beach day through the ship.

hi B-lis, will be at Roatan from 10 AM to 7 PM on March 31 with NCL Dawn. My husband and I are both PADI Open Water divers. Would you be so kind to post any info on snorkeling or diving on your way back.

Wish you a wonderful cruise:)

CoCo View is a great diving place. We've been there 6 or 7 times now. Just a note there are usually pretty fierce sand flies on all beaches in Belize and Roatan. On a good note CoCo View has a good pier out over the lagoon, no sand flies there. Snorkeling in the lagoon and over the walls right out front may be the best in the island.

Thanks NM Eman,

How do you get to Cocoview? What do you do with your personal stuff while diving?

As posted above their website is at http://www.cocoviewresort.com/ other info at:

Reservations and Information

Toll Free: 1-800-510-8164

Local: 352-588-3084

Fax: 352-588-4158

Email: ccv@roatan.com

We've never stayed there less than a week so I don't know exactly how they handle day-trippers, but I do know they are invited. I suspect that if you arrange it ahead of time they will come get you in the van. As to your stuff, We almost never bothered to lock our room. I'd be more worried about the guests than the staff. But I'm sure you could stash your stuff behind the bar or in the office. This is a small very friendly place. It was owned by the same couple for years until just recently when they finally decided to retire. Many of the staff are in the second generation of folks working there. Not at all fancy, just a really nice place to be.

I have contacted them and they said that the transportation fee to and from the docks is $10.00 (round trip).

Here is what they sent me through e-mail:

we would love to have all of you here for a

day of diving and snorkeling while your ship is in Roatan!

Transportation cost is $10.00 p/p, we can have our driver meet you at the

pier upon your arrival on Jan. 12th Thursday.

Diving:

Boat Dives:

1 tank/site $25.00

Shore Dive:

$15.00 p/p

Snorkeling:

$10.00 p/p

Dive Master Fee: $25.00. Dive master is requiered if you have not dove our

shores before.

There is a shop there that rents any needed equiptment, it is on their web site with pricing and such. They ask that you let them know what you will need to that they have it ready. We are planning on making a daily visit, they have been great to work with so far.

Thanks for the info and the recommendations, it sounds like we will have an awesome time! =0)

Archived