Trents and Bequia

joanne30

First off I'd like to thank the two of you for all the helpful information you

provide all of us. It is so nice to have people like you who take the time out

of your busy day to answer all of our questions.

I am staying at the LaQuinta Inn hollywood by the oakwood mall. I know the

holtel is nice because I have stayed here pre cruise once before. I know you

often tell people hotels are in a bad area. Do you feel this is a safe area for

us to walk at night? Also we would like to go to Sawgrass Mills mall. Could

you please tell me how far this is from our hotel. If we took a taxi what do

you feel the cost would be.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Take Care

Joanne

Yeah, it's safe enough to walk to Oakwood from La Quinta with normal precautions, but if you want to go out to Sawgrass Mills you'll probably want to rent a car for the day as that would be far cheaper than taking taxis each way. It's close to a 30 minute drive from that La Quinta and a taxi would be quite pricey.

Sawgrass Mills used to have a bus service that picked up people at various hotels and took them to the mall but they've apparently discontinued that as now they just list various shuttle companies on their website. You may want to contact one of them and see what they would charge, but IMO renting a small car would be much easier... http://www.sawgrassmillsmall.com/static/node2338.jsp

I concur with Trents feeling about the hotel neighborhood. It's well lighted, busy, but you should always be aware of your surroundings when your traveling.

Sawgrass Mills is awonderful experience that I'm sure you'll enjoy. Unfortunately it's far enough away that a taxi would set you back a few dollars. Taxis are metered in Broward County, there is no flat fee from point A to point B per se. Consider renting a car if you can. It's an easy drive from your location. I would also speak with the hotel staff. They may have knowledge of a shuttle or discounted transportation to get you there. ;)

That AmeriSuites is a block off of SE 17th Street, less than 10 minutes from FLL and only a couple of minutes from the entrance to Port Everglades. The location can't be beat! It's a very popular hotel with cruisers, and the SE 17th Street area is the absolute best location to stay in if you're going on a cruise as everything you could possibly want is right there. There are dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores as well as easy access to the very popular Water Taxi all within safe, easy walking distance.

AmeriSuites is a bit worn around the edges but is fine for a night if you're on a budget. The chain was recently purchased by Hyatt and they will eventually be remodeled and turned into "Hyatt Place" hotels. AmeriSuites is frequently available at a very good rate on some discount sites such as Valuetrips... http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

If you're looking for a budget hotel you may also wish to consider Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center" and Extended Stay America, both of which also have very good rates at times, are in the same general location, but are a bit nicer hotels. Extended Stay America has been an exceptionally good value lately, it's a very nice place for the price!

Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center"... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Extended Stay America... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fort-lauderdale-convention-center-marina.html

Archived