Helsinki - Suomenlinna versus City Tour / Seurasaari Island

Leaving for our Baltic Sea cruise next week, stopping in Helsinki on June 22nd and trying to decide between either doing a city tour combo with Seurasaari (with Alla Tours) or catching a tram to the city center, spending some time in the market and then going to Suomenlinna for the rest of the day.

It will be my wife and I plus our two teenaged (13 and 17) boys. I also just saw that it's Midsummer Day in Helsinki, in case that makes any difference.

Any thoughts on which option would be better for our family? Thanks! :)

Like you said, 22nd of June is Midsummer's Eve and the whole Helsinki will be dead quiet as all the locals have escaped to their cabins at the lake/sea. Most stores will be closed or will close early. Market square has been traditionally open until afternoon 3PM.

There will be some happenings in some of the islands, e.g. in Seurasaari they start 4PM with Finnish folk dance and music, spells, handicraft displays and also a traditional midsummer maypole will be raised. Midsummer bonfires are lit in the evening.

I think you would get the best experience by just going to Suomenlinna on your own and it is quite easy to do. You get to first experience the empty town, then take the amazing ferry ride to a beatiful island, and experience one of the main destinations in Helsinki with less people than usual (it is usually too crowded). And the best thing is that, even if the mainland Helsinki is pretty much quiet, Suomenlinna's services (museums, stores, restaurants, coffee shops) are open all through Midsummer. Please note that the public transportation (including the ferry) is using the Saturday schedule.