Goff's Cay?

forevertan

I am looking at all these picture's and hearing a lot of good things about Goff's Cay.I would love to go.We are going on the Princess Grand and there is an excursion at Goff's Cay-would like to book an excursion thru ship cause we are not there very long.the only thing is we are not snorkeler's.So my ? is on this excursion do you have to snorkel?Is there anything else to do there?Is it worth the money if you don't snorkel?It's just looks so beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Goff's Caye in Dec. 2004. My husband and I are snorkelers and had a wonderful time there, but I think I would have been equally happy to just lounge on the beach. My mother-in-law was with too....she tried snorkeling, but spent most of the time on the beach and walking around the little island....she loved it too. It's one of the prettiest spots I've been. They gave us the choice of being dropped off at the island immediately or going snorkeling from the boat and then going to the island. (We booked our excursion there through Carnival....they picked us up and dropped us off directly at the ship). There really isn't anything else to do at the island except snorkel, lay on the beach or walk in the water....no jet skis, parasailers, water trampoline, kayaks, etc. which makes for a nice relaxing place to enjoy the sun! If I'm remembering correctly, there were no lounge chairs either, so bring a towel to sit on.

Cool! Thanks...Oh, photocruiser...I think I saw some of your pics from Roatan on another thread. ( I do hope you are the right person) anyway...where in Roatan did you take that pirate ship pic?

How was the snorkeling on Goffs? Going with DH and son (12). Not yet sure how we are getting there. Private excursion or Carnival...any thoughts here?

Thanks, Karyn

Cool! Thanks...Oh, photocruiser...I think I saw some of your pics from Roatan on another thread. ( I do hope you are the right person) anyway...where in Roatan did you take that pirate ship pic?

How was the snorkeling on Goffs? Going with DH and son (12). Not yet sure how we are getting there. Private excursion or Carnival...any thoughts here?

Thanks, Karyn

Karyn,

The shots from Roatan were taken at Coral Cay.This was a Carnival excursion. That was a nice spot. They had a nice beach, snorkeling and restaurant with a live outdoor band. We had shrimp kebobs and Coronas. Very nice.

Goff's Cay is great for snorkeling and free diving for conch shells (we didn't keep them), although the current was a bit strong at times,we enjoyed snorkeling off the boat for an hour and then we went to the Cay and had wonderful BBQ Chicken and Beliken beer. There are no beach or lounge chairs on Goff's Cay, so take ship towels with you. The advantage of doing the excursion from Carnival is the tender boats pick you up from the ship and take you to the destination. You don't have to wait in a long tender line.

Photocruiser

I hate reading negative comments all the time, but I have to say that our Goff's Cay excursion wasn't my favourite:

We were supposed to do a different excursion, but it was cancelled, so we chose snorkelling as our second choice. We didn't have time to research it a lot, so went by the excursions' desk advice. I had done a ton of research about our excursions before we left, but like I said, ours was cancelled.

We were taken on a half hour or so boat ride out to Goff's Cay, and like others said had the choice of getting off the boat and entering the water from the beach, or going out further by boat and jumping off and snorkelling in to the island. We did that. It was fun, quite windy that day, so very strong current, but you could just float along nicely. We saw some small jelly fish, various other fish and some pretty coral. The world's coral is dying (I watched a facinating show about this recently), but you could see that some of this was still alive. A sting ray swam behind me, but I didn't see it. They said they sometimes see nurse sharks, but we didn't. So after an hour of snorkelling (if that), we landed on the beach. We then had an hour or hour & a half to wait to go back to the ship. We could have gone back out snorkelling, but without the guides, and frankly, I'd kind of had enough. We just didn't know what was involved, because we would have liked to have gone straight back to the ship. We did not come prepared to "hang out" for an hour or more. I would have brought a snack & drink.

Now, having said all that, there was a different group there at the same time - they had a meal prepared for them on the beach, and had access to beer & rum punch. Our tour didn't even give us water (I heard someone say there was some on the boat, but they didn't offer it around).

When we were back on the ship, a different excursion boat pulled up - Belize Catamarans - that tour looked more our speed - they snorkelled also, but had a much more appealling boat, and a more party atmosphere - music playing, people dancing. Looked like a lot more fun.

Archived