Tampa: Belleview Biltmore, or other?

I&MsMom

Hi, all! I waded through a lot of the big Tampa hotel thread here, and did a search for the Belleview Biltmore with no luck. So...

Have any of you stayed here? Do any of you who are local (thanks so much for all your input!) know anything about it?

From the reviews on tripadvisor and fodors, it seems that guests either really, really love it, or really, really dislike it.

I'm all for historic properties, and if it were just DH and me, I wouldn't hesitate. It's only 2 nights pre-cruise. But traveling with DS 7 and DD 3. Since having kids, my need for clean and safe far outweighs my tolerance for "atmospheric".

We liked this hotel because it has an indoor, as well as outdoor, pool. We'll be there in Feb, and it might be too cold to use the outdoor pool. Also, we were able to book a balcony room, which is great: even if it's a bit chilly, we can at least sit outside and chat for awhile while the kids fall sleep. Aside from the concerns about the hotel's condition, I'm also concerned that there are no restaurant options nearby, other than those in the hotel. Is this a valid concern?

The other hotel we're considering is the Marriott Waterside. But it has gotten less than stellar reviews lately. So, I'm not sure. I'm also concerned about entertaining 2 small kids at a downtown hotel which apparently caters mainly to business travelers, especially if it's too cool to use the pool. But the up-side would be there would be no stresses involved in finding the pier and returning the rental car the morning of departure...

I'm truly not sure what to do. While it's only 2 nights, it will help to set the tone for the whole trip, and I'd really like to start on a good note with a hotel that is right for our family. FYI: considered some of the hotels on Sand Key, but the ones that looked good are already booked...

Any assistance would be truly and greatfully appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Did you consider the Tradewinds on St. Pete Beach.. Pretty extensive property. Or Don CeSar.

I just know the Belleview is old and is really secluded. Have driven on the grounds but never set foot inside. Read an article some time in the past year that they still have not repaired all the hurricane damage from '04.

Thanks, first of all, for not blasting me on the truly obnoxious multi-posts. You are a real gentleman!

Both the Tradewinds and Don Cesar were over $400 a night for that weekend (which I acknowledge is a holiday...) That's more than I'd like to spend. I reserved a room with a balcony at the Biltmore for $179.

Do you have any thoughts on the Marriott Waterside?

Even if not, thanks much for your input. Happy New Year! And Happy Cruising!!

Wow, those are high prices. If you have a car I wouldn't worry about the location of the Belleview.

Marriott is just east of the heart of Downtown. There are things to do at Channelside and the Florida Aquarium is right there too, adjacent to the cruise terminal. Not to mention Busch Gardens. Once again I've only been in the lobby areas of this hotel, but it is right on the water, and about 7 years old. Otherwise it's probably standard Marriott.

Hi, all! I waded through a lot of the big Tampa hotel thread here, and did a search for the Belleview Biltmore with no luck. So...

Have any of you stayed here? Do any of you who are local (thanks so much for all your input!) know anything about it?

From the reviews on tripadvisor and fodors, it seems that guests either really, really love it, or really, really dislike it.

I'm all for historic properties, and if it were just DH and me, I wouldn't hesitate. It's only 2 nights pre-cruise. But traveling with DS 7 and DD 3. Since having kids, my need for clean and safe far outweighs my tolerance for "atmospheric".

We liked this hotel because it has an indoor, as well as outdoor, pool. We'll be there in Feb, and it might be too cold to use the outdoor pool. Also, we were able to book a balcony room, which is great: even if it's a bit chilly, we can at least sit outside and chat for awhile while the kids fall sleep. Aside from the concerns about the hotel's condition, I'm also concerned that there are no restaurant options nearby, other than those in the hotel. Is this a valid concern?

The other hotel we're considering is the Marriott Waterside. But it has gotten less than stellar reviews lately. So, I'm not sure. I'm also concerned about entertaining 2 small kids at a downtown hotel which apparently caters mainly to business travelers, especially if it's too cool to use the pool. But the up-side would be there would be no stresses involved in finding the pier and returning the rental car the morning of departure...

I'm truly not sure what to do. While it's only 2 nights, it will help to set the tone for the whole trip, and I'd really like to start on a good note with a hotel that is right for our family. FYI: considered some of the hotels on Sand Key, but the ones that looked good are already booked...

Any assistance would be truly and greatfully appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you want a Historic great hotel- How about the Vinoy in downtown St Pete? It is a great location. The childrens museum is close by. Downtown St Pete is great! You are not far from the beach anyway. I would certainly give them a call. I think they do have limo service.

susan

Paul, I think the OP knows where the Belleview is. She mentions Tampa because that is where the port is. It is clear that she is open to anything in the entire Tampa Bay area.

I hope you had a nice brunch. How about telling us your impressions of the hotel, look of the lobby, grounds, quality of the food, etc. This is the kind of information she is looking for to help in her decision.

Although it wasn't in connection with a cruise, we stayed at the Belleview Biltmore a couple of years ago for a family reunion. It was very interesting and has a long history, and the staff claimed at the time that the hotel is haunted! (Not a believer myself, but it adds to the place's funkiness). The very modern entrance is an add on the original hotel and really doesn't match, but remember I said it was interesting! Our room was a sun suite or something like that; but it was a two room suite. The sunroom portion didn't have much furniture, but it did have sun! I can't remember much else about the place, but I'm not sure I'd return. It was fun once, but I'm a Marriott girl at heart.

i&m'smom What time do you sail? Did you consider staying in Orlando? It is only 90 mins away. Lots of fun there. The Belleview Biltmore is pretty secluded. I have been to the restaurant and the food and service are good. I have not stayed there. Their beach club pool is not on the grounds. Shephards hotel and Hilton hotel are at Clearwater Beach. Lots of activity for the kids there. It can be cold here in February though.

We moved away from Belleair a year ago and our condo was on the property of the Belleview Biltmore.We stayed there while moving and if it wasn't right across the street we would have checked out.The hotel was musty and the rooms were less than modern especialy the bathrooms.The pool is nice but not heated from what I remember.As far as restaurants you will have to drive everywhere.

We have stayed at the Marriott Waterside many times and have been very pleased.The rooms are nice (get a balcony on the water) the location is good close many forms of entertainment for adults as wel as kids. Pleant of food options as well..

Let me know if I can answer anything else...

Tom

Archived