Cirque Masquerade Party Question

JUST ADD WATER

We are boarding the Connie in 2.5 weeks :D ...I could use a little help. At the Cirque Masquerade Party what type of masks do folks wear?

We have a great costume shop here in Indianapolis.....they have lots of masks and I would like to purchase our masks from them prior to leaving.

If anyone has a photo taken during the Masquerade that would help too.

As always thanks for your help!

Rene

Rene - We were on Connie in April and we wore feather masks that I ordered from New Orleans. There were people at the ball that had real elaborate masks and there were people who made masks out of paper.

Our masks cost about 4.95 a piece but there were some that were very expensive looking, It all depends on what you want to pack. Wear white if you can, the lighting is awesome.

Have a great trip.

Charlie

I saw a little of everything. From napkins with eye holes cut out to the Cirque masks sold on the ship and everything in between. Many people did not even have masks on (guilty, although we did wait until late to go.)

As other posters stated, you can bring something you find on your own and hope the airlines don't demolish it in your baggage, or purchase the Cirque masks on board.

They had just reinstituted CdS on the 11/10/05 CONSTELLATION cruise that I took in November, and the Activities Director also had a mask making session. She was overwhelmed, though, when about 60 people showed up for it. She thought she MIGHT get "12 or so"! We had fun making construction paper masks trimmed with sequins, glitter, and feathers ... I made enough for my tablemates, who didn't realize a mask was needed for the revellry. (I probably would have purchased a mask, but we had a LOT of sea days, and this made for a fun couple of hours with onboard friends.)

That said, a few people came to the event after the Cirque show without masks, and after a few drinks and any amount of time on the dance floor, most everyone else had them hiked up on their foreheads.

I do have a question since we will be on the Summit in May.

We received our copy of Celebrity's Captains Club Departures magazine yesterday. Since some don't recieve this mag, I'll simply quote it:

ONLY ON CELEBRITY - INTRODUCING

A TASTE OF CIRQUE du SOLEIL

Celebrity cruises is thrilled to announce that we are evolving our Cirque du Soleil onboard experience into a new 30-minute performance in the Celebrity Theater. This evolution reflects both companies' desire to deliver what our guests have told us they expect from the Cirque du Soleil brand: Acrobatic and artistic performances.

In November 2005, on the Constellation and Summit, we began treating our guests to A Taste of Cirque du Soleil. Created exclusively for Celebrity Cruises, this unique performance comprises acrobatic acts and animators from world-renowned Cirque du Soleil.

The Bar at the Edge of the Earth a space designed by Cirque du Soleil, will continue to operate as a bar, lounge, and disco by night and observaton lounge by day. However, it will no longer feature Cirque du Soleil characters.

We hope you share our excitement over this fabulous new development in our continued relationship with Cirque du Soleil.

When we were on the Summit the Mascarade Ball was held in the Bar at the Edge of the Earth so here's my question. Since it will no longer feature Cirque characters, where is the Mascuerade Party held?

It is still held in the Bar at the Edge of the Earth, just without any official Cirque characters present. The masks were absolutely anything goes. The masks for sale on the ship were $9.95 for the basic ones and up to several hundred for the fancy feathered ones. They are kind of hard to pack, we got 2 of the ones from the ship's stores. If I'd known ahead of time, I would have brought some of our Mardi gras masks, my Brother In Law lives in New Orleans :D .

Thank you for all of your help! I am off to the costume shop Friday. :)

Freshjive1479: I am embarassed to say this, but I don't remember the name of the place, just where it is (downtown Indianapolis)....I'll post the name and address after I visit...my company did a Star Wars "play" last Spring...we got the costumes from this place. Costumes were fantastic and reasonable in price. I make a smashing Princess Leah ;)

Got to find something white to wear too....guess that means I have to go shopping.....darn :D

Rene

sorry if I'm bursting your bubble, but I would hate to see you waste money

its simply a really cool dance party, with very LOUD club music, lots of dancing, and lots of lights/lasers/etc (which we love... but not all do)

just get in there, and start dancing!

also, no mask is needed.

plz don't waste your money on a mask... just go to the club and dance (that is all this is : A dance party)

we just sailed her 12/24

the few that actually had a mask where definitely a minority.

in fact, most people that had a mask, took them off as soon as they were walking in (maybe they saw that very few actually wore a mask??? who knows)

we just walked in (no mask) and started dancing away

in fact, i went back to my pics, and could not even find anyone wearing a mask....

http://home.comcast.net/~ltdwj01/Constellation20051224_0228.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~ltdwj01/Constellation20051224_0227.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~ltdwj01/Constellation20051224_0225.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~ltdwj01/Constellation20051224_0221.JPG

For those who have been to the masqeurade party, can you tell me if it is held on a formal night? Trying to decide what to pack....

Thanks!

for our 12/24 cruise, it was a informal night....

but our "dress schedule" was diff from other cruises because of the holidays. to make things more confusing, I remember the daily paper listing that evenings dress code as "informal/formal".

in fact, I think the itinerary was a little different, too (curacao, etc).

I'm not sure if I am helping you... sorry.

also, as I said before... it was nothing but a dance party (maybe it was diff in the past??).

IMO, there was absolutley no need to pack around it / for it.

sorry if I am bursting everyone's bubble.

(although the show "taste of cirque..." was EXCELLENT!!!)

EDIT: are you asking because they used to tell people to dress in white? I can tell you for sure that is all gone now. again, its now nothing more then a plain old dance party at night, like all other "nightime" dance parties on cruises.

Ours on Constellation 12/17 was most definitely a masquerade party. In the little news paper it said "a mask is your invitation". They had a lady painting peoples' faces that didn't have a mask. They said nothing about wearing white in the news paper. I wore white because I read on this board that you were supposed to. A lot of other people wore white too. They did not project any of the effects onto the dancers on the dance floor, only on the cloth decorations in the room. We left kind of early, but everyone was still wearing their masks when we left. :confused:

Ours on Constellation 12/17 was most definitely a masquerade party. In the little news paper it said "a mask is your invitation". They had a lady painting peoples' faces that didn't have a mask. They said nothing about wearing white in the news paper. I wore white because I read on this board that you were supposed to. A lot of other people wore white too. They did not project any of the effects onto the dancers on the dance floor, only on the cloth decorations in the room. We left kind of early, but everyone was still wearing their masks when we left. :confused:

yep! same thing for 12/24.

only the masks were off like 3 minutes into the party... and that was about it for the rest of the night.

i felt really bad for those who actually bought the cirque masks at the table outside club/bar. Personally, I thought that white face paint stuff was pretty lame (but thats just my opinion)

I'm only trying to help / point out what happened,

before people go and spend money on masks at home. (see my pics up above)

yep! same thing for 12/24.

only the masks were off like 3 minutes into the party... and that was about it for the rest of the night.

i felt really bad for those who actually bought the cirque masks at the table outside club/bar. Personally, I thought that white face paint stuff was pretty lame (but thats just my opinion)

I'm only trying to help / point out what happened,

before people go and spend money on masks at home. (see my pics up above)

OK, I'm confused. You're saying yep same thing, and its not the same thing at all. Everyone wore their masks on my cruise. There were very few without, and they kind of left in shame (with their lame face paint on, LOL). By "early" I guess we left about 1:30am. We stayed at least 2 hours, I can't remember exactly when the party started, maybe 11:30pm? Anyway, it was a lot of fun to see everyone's masks and I'd hate for the unique experience to turn into "just another disco". Yes bring your masks!!!

OK, I'm confused. You're saying yep same thing, and its not the same thing at all. Everyone wore their masks on my cruise. There were very few without, and they kind of left in shame (with their lame face paint on, LOL). By "early" I guess we left about 1:30am. We stayed at least 2 hours, I can't remember exactly when the party started, maybe 11:30pm? Anyway, it was a lot of fun to see everyone's masks and I'd hate for the unique experience to turn into "just another disco". Yes bring your masks!!!

Hi there !! sounds like you had a neat experience! pretty different from what I experienced.... which is perfectly ok.

anyway, when I stated "yep, the same thing..." , I was refering to your first set of statements ....

...Ours on Constellation 12/17 was most definitely a masquerade party. In the little news paper it said "a mask is your invitation". They had a lady painting peoples' faces that didn't have a mask. They said nothing about wearing white in the news paper....

that was same thing for our 12/24 cruise

did you look at my pics/links that i posted above? while the activities staff, and paper, stated the same thing as you, it just ended up being a regular club party on my cruise. nothing more.

like i said before, i only feel bad for those spending money or packing specifically for this.

Personally, I would have felt plain silly if I had worn a mask.... even more silly if I had spent the money on Constellation and purchased one (in fact, I would have felt duped and very annoyed). I remember those with masks, taking them off while walking in. (see the pics)

you can do anything you want, and you will not be out of place or required

ehh... in the end, all that really matters is what you and your entourage is doing.

its fun no matter what you do!

Everyone....thanks AGAIN for all your help. I know the "holiday" cruises sometimes vary from a "regular" sailing (having done holiday one myself), so the differences in the Party which were noted above are no surprise.

I found excellent and very inexpensive masks at our local "PARTY CITY" outlet....I believe this is a chain of stores so maybe others around the country have them too. They have them out for Mardi Gras.....if you go to their website and click on the "Marti Gras" link you can view the masks they have (along with prices) online.

I was so happy with what Party City had I did not go to the costume shop in downtown Indianapolis.....BUT if anyone in Indy needs a costume for something, I do recommend Landes Costumes by Rachel. Lots of selection and reasonable rates.

I am not sure we will wear white.....would just a lighter color work OK (like cream or light yellow?). What does wearing white do? I believe our "Ball" is on formal night...can't imagine getting through dinner in WHITE :eek:

dileep: Thanks for the photo...you both look cool! :D

Again I appreciate your help.....what ever did we do before Cruise Critic?

Rene

LOL, IMHO wkoe and Moped Momma are both right. We were on the 12/10 Connie last month (and the 12/11/04 sailing when it was brand new) and I'd say our party was a little bit of both of theirs.

wkoe is right, don't spend a lot of money on a mask and for god sakes bring them with you instead of spending money on the nice but outrageously priced masks in the Cirque shop on board.

We also found some cute ones at home for <$10 and they were fine.

It's a fun time if you go with the right attitude and don't expect too much.

• 3 months later...

This May Sound Stupid What Is Cirque Du Soleio What Is Clrque Masquerade Party

The Last 6 Or 7 Cruises I Have Bean On Did Not Have A Masquerade Party

We Are Booked On The Mercury In January 2007 To The Mexico

Will there Be A Party To Look Foward To (or Just Ware Mask?)

Stur Dayton,ohio

Archived