Pre-Review AMA Thread on Seaside - Western Caribbean, June 16-23, 2018

harrisodaniels

Hi everyone, it was great to meet a few of you at the Meet & Mingle and around the ship!

We had an amazing time on the Seaside last week and I can't say enough praise about it - best cruise ever, got more value out of our package and did more activities than I even thought we would (Aurea Balcony 9059, Deluxe Drinks, got 1 Bali Hot Stone Massage, ate once at Teppanyaki, did zipline - married couple on 1st anniversary, no kids, Western Caribbean June 16-23). In case you weren't sure if you met or saw us, here's my wife Kristin and I in the middle - yes, I was the lazy husband who didn't bring a real suit! clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I still haven't even gathered up energy to write my review yet, but will certainly be posting it soon. But till then, Ask Me Anything!

-T78pYgnWI2P2taMd1wsa_7i2tb6yyrG5qYBIPHKA-5qq_1_5AvrLgy1vagKTpU2tu0MsXbPqu-MkpizRIH-xdFdn-WmiAIwYTohNng0EVeOzkl5OmrJ7o_TUaVOEwmHA9a_KzB3Qi9GSeNCJ_BJjtyN1GwxBDvZ3ew5syKDip2HYImn5TLPahjcCD-OGlQKEvN0AD2Yp_DHd5S0ulUeQVOsyT7Qd1-4ycvMactko9EwLO_3_wJ-M-hgoCGamA8vA1WeYb6A0oayiv9fekU5KOWrciKVgTudnVciAowKJaJshB_jTCVt1ajCzJgjcUsdAX3i7AzaaZaQQLlPwe_CQIEL96mX6CslWD3bozR9dSsVWCI9Os2xdhWWX4RL2GkYyFSxZnsOD92khjquz6zgY-jsKw8Tl4vaTHUu4VE1aY7dloByYWMQzqIdLyu45c2OXjRW6lCj7uNolOq0Y4V_6-FYY5R7-rLmmoMcJDIrUNwDkXF_f0x7cA-WqBWry6SynrxvCsqGV8sVPSSPv_JEhhFA_Pfa8zRDuuGEhe4PqsSVrHPq0ZLNzjU0R18ms-Ybwrx_4-qqbi8HmZyjNwQaBQIFLdoMYSbAFoeukFI2=w2244-h1262-no

Hi everyone, it was great to meet a few of you at the Meet & Mingle and around the ship!

We had an amazing time on the Seaside last week and I can't say enough praise about it - best cruise ever, got more value out of our package and did more activities than I even thought we would (Aurea Balcony 9059, Deluxe Drinks, got 1 Bali Hot Stone Massage, ate once at Teppanyaki, did zipline - married couple on 1st anniversary, no kids, Western Caribbean June 16-23). In case you weren't sure if you met or saw us, here's my wife Kristin and I in the middle - yes, I was the lazy husband who didn't bring a real suit! clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I still haven't even gathered up energy to write my review yet, but will certainly be posting it soon. But till then, Ask Me Anything!

-T78pYgnWI2P2taMd1wsa_7i2tb6yyrG5qYBIPHKA-5qq_1_5AvrLgy1vagKTpU2tu0MsXbPqu-MkpizRIH-xdFdn-WmiAIwYTohNng0EVeOzkl5OmrJ7o_TUaVOEwmHA9a_KzB3Qi9GSeNCJ_BJjtyN1GwxBDvZ3ew5syKDip2HYImn5TLPahjcCD-OGlQKEvN0AD2Yp_DHd5S0ulUeQVOsyT7Qd1-4ycvMactko9EwLO_3_wJ-M-hgoCGamA8vA1WeYb6A0oayiv9fekU5KOWrciKVgTudnVciAowKJaJshB_jTCVt1ajCzJgjcUsdAX3i7AzaaZaQQLlPwe_CQIEL96mX6CslWD3bozR9dSsVWCI9Os2xdhWWX4RL2GkYyFSxZnsOD92khjquz6zgY-jsKw8Tl4vaTHUu4VE1aY7dloByYWMQzqIdLyu45c2OXjRW6lCj7uNolOq0Y4V_6-FYY5R7-rLmmoMcJDIrUNwDkXF_f0x7cA-WqBWry6SynrxvCsqGV8sVPSSPv_JEhhFA_Pfa8zRDuuGEhe4PqsSVrHPq0ZLNzjU0R18ms-Ybwrx_4-qqbi8HmZyjNwQaBQIFLdoMYSbAFoeukFI2=w2244-h1262-no

Look forward to your review. I am taking you up on that "ask me anything" offer!

We are trying to plan a trip for a couple celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. The ports don't matter too much, it is more to do with the ship, the food, entertainment, ambiance etc. The comparison reference for them would be Carnival.

They enjoy music - is there musical entertainment in the bars?

I think on CCL one of them enjoyed the smoked salmon/lox at breakfast. Is that an option on Seaside in either the buffet or dining room? Is there much other seafood? One of them enjoys steak/beef. How is the steak in the main dining room?

I see that the cabins are smaller than on CCL. Is it much of a difference?

The drinks on us program mentions red wine, white wine and prosecco. Can you confirm if prosecco was actually included? (I confess, that question is more for me!) Finally, they have age-related mobility issues, and one of them will use a small scooter. Do you think it will be possible for them to get around, or will the sheer volume of people and size of the ship make it very difficult for them? They would be traveling in October. Thanks for your help, and if anyone else can assist, please feel free to jump in!

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses and questions! On the go at the moment, but here are some quick answers:

Kimala: Sorry, I didn't keep or take pics of any daily schedules, but they were loaded with activities, sometimes a few we wanted to check out happening at the same time. A couple times they had something scheduled that just never happened, with no explanation (Movie Night on Deck 16 Miami Beach Pool big screen, never started- lots of people there to see Beauty & the Beast, no one there to confirm or deny it was happening! We missed MDR dinner the first night because we waited for the movie then went to the late theater show!)

But the paper dailies get slipped under your door each night so you can plan for the next day, they're also accessible on the MSC for Me App on your phone, on the TV (login with your app info), and on the touch screens all over the ship.

Plus Gene, the new (first and only American CD on an MSC ship) Cruise Director co-hosts a morning show with the cruise staff manager Kevin (from South Africa) on the TV from 6am-12pm, and its replayed all day and night ,full of info on what's going on. Gene is super nice, we met him at the Meet & Mingle and he remembered us every time we saw him. He'll make announcements about other stuff going on, before and after each show. And he can sing too!

I do have most (5/7 nights) MDR menus screenshot on my phone, will post them in a new thread.

You're gonna love the Seaside!

Don't worry SG1812, I didn't forget about you! In fact, in the midst of an already crazy week back to work and a million other errands, I wrote 90% of a really detailed response to all your questions right here - and would have used it in the big review I still have to write - before I accidentally clicked away from the window and when I went back to this page, it was all gone.

So this will be slightly briefer, but here goes!

Tell MSC it's their 60th wedding anniversary at EVERY possible chance you get - especially at meals in MDR or Specialty Restaurants, tell the waitstaff. They love celebrations! If you do Teppanyaki, definitely tell your chef! They'll incorporate it into the show!

If they're used to Carnival, and expect MSC to be EXACTLY like Carnival, they'll be disappointed. With even a slightly open mind, I saw MSC win over even the most die-hard Carnival folks on the Seaside!

Yes, live music in every club every night, 2 different live bands, at least 4-5 DJs around the ship. Always something for everyone!

Definitely Smoked Salmon, other smoked fish, and other bagels & lox accessories on Marketplace buffet every morning, and I'm sure the MDR has it on their breakfast menu though I didn't eat here. No fish on the room service breakfast options, but some nice breads, fruit, ham/egg/cheese sandwich.

Lots and lots of great seafood - better in the Teppanyaki than MDR, some even good on buffet. We didn't try any steak but people were raving about Butcher's Cut.

Cabins can be a tight space but get a balcony if you can! Makes a huge difference - but the bed is a nice size and you get a couch if you don't have >2 people in the cabin.

We saw more than a few folks on the ship on scooters, going down the hallways, in the elevators, at the buffet, on the decks. No one seemed to have mobility issues if they were using the scooter, they got around just fine! And the ship never felt crowded, even with 5,500 pax and 1,500 crew!

Can't confirm Drinks on Us inclusions - we upgraded to Deluxe Drinks Package. But I'm fairly certain there's 1 Prosecco on the DoU list.

I'll be posting more in my review, by end of weekend!