Response re. George Smith's Disappearance

Eliger

Whew, thanks for that analysis, Joanie! That was exactly what I suspected would be the case. There's no reason to expect the parents wouldn't rewrite their will to leave everything to Bree. You pointed out:

I had missed that, but I see you're right. For some reason in my head I was interpreting "issue" as "survivors" rather than "children" - even though I know what "issue" means! And of course you are correct about the laws applying to intestate situations...that is exactly the situation I may find myself in after a hearing on the 26th of this month. (Which is why I've been reading so much on probate etc.) I think I need your "Trusts and Estates" class!

Maybe the cat gets it all. Ooops the kitty is deader then a door knob now.

Although it is a tragedy what happened, you have to wonder at people's behavior. Falling asleep in a hallway? Not noticing that your new husband is missing because he has already slept elsewhere on the cruise?

I hope they find out what happened.

My statements were never in favor of anybody. I simply gave my opinion. Did I think the investigation was compromised? Yes, I did n I still do. When Marie went in the room to gather up Jennifer's belonging, although a consulate member, is she knowledged in the ways of CSI's? Did she wear gloves? Did she go in the room n not disturb more then need be? Was she accompanied in the room with someone who does know the procedures to maintaining the secured room uncompromised? The "before" and "after" pics prove otherwise. Why? Because although the room was a mess, it was an even bigger mess after she left. The fact that someone actually was able to take pics after the room was sealed is proof that the secured room was compromised.

My statements were never in favor of anybody. I simply gave my opinion. Did I think the investigation was compromised? Yes, I did n I still do. When Marie went in the room to gather up Jennifer's belonging, although a consulate member, is she knowledged in the ways of CSI's? Did she wear gloves? Did she go in the room n not disturb more then need be? Was she accompanied in the room with someone who does know the procedures to maintaining the secured room uncompromised? The "before" and "after" pics prove otherwise. Why? Because although the room was a mess, it was an even bigger mess after she left. The fact that someone actually was able to take pics after the room was sealed is proof that the secured room was compromised.

Marie went into the room well after the investigation was completed.

I saw the Rita show 2 nights ago and last night too. I will be angry as anyone if it is proven RCI did some major foulups that compromised the investigation. At this point - I'm not. I look forward to the FBI report - and until the US Consulate or the Turks contradict RCI's official time line, I'm going to accept it. The media reporting on this has been sensationalistic, shoddy and just plain biased. Makes for great tv and provokes some healthy debates but the facts are getting lost. I don't care as much about what happened in that room 2-3 days later as much as I care what happened that night. The couples actions and the actions of their drinking companions are what are of primary interest. As the attorney pointed out last night, the lock on the door is sophisticated - sealing the room doesn't require crime scene tape - no one other than authorized personnel would have access anyway.

I saw the Rita show 2 nights ago and last night too. I will be angry as anyone if it is proven RCI did some major foulups that compromised the investigation. At this point - I'm not. I look forward to the FBI report - and until the US Consulate or the Turks contradict RCI's official time line, I'm going to accept it. The media reporting on this has been sensationalistic, shoddy and just plain biased. Makes for great tv and provokes some healthy debates but the facts are getting lost. I don't care as much about what happened in that room 2-3 days later as much as I care what happened that night. The couples actions and the actions of their drinking companions are what are of primary interest. As the attorney pointed out last night, the lock on the door is sophisticated - sealing the room doesn't require crime scene tape - no one other than authorized personnel would have access anyway.

I agree with you on that. The point that I was trying to make is that if there were any foulups, we may never find out what happened. No one will get answers. Me personally not getting answers is not as bad as Jennifer or George's family not getting answers. Now would not be a good time for having an unsolved mystery.

IF as everyone says RCCL has a policy against bringing alcohol on board and IF the "Russians" George and Jennifer and the rest of the merry band of drunks were in a RCCL bar drinking Absinthe from a brought aboard bottle, don't ya think someone from RCCL would have confiscated it or at least noted it. Had to have a large enough bottle for all of those people to drink it.

I have a feeling the FBI will have a good (meaning throrough and fair) report on this. I just find it wrong how this family has distorted so much information and made this a no win situation for the cruise line no matter what they do. For example - they told RCI within 24 hours NOT to contact them again. Then they accuse them of engaging in a cover up. If you are told not to give them information, how can you be covering up information you are not allowed to share. I also am disturbed by their utter lack of acknowledgement that George and Jennifer's behavior may have directly contributed to what happened. There are many eyewitness accounts of a fight, of heavy drinking and partying etc - none of these people are appearing on "news" shows. They are either respecting the integrity of the investigation or not interested in their 15 minutes of fame. The couple on Rita may sincerely believe they are "helping this family" but the way to help everyone is to give all information to law enforcement and then SHUT UP. Of course - then we wouldn't have anything to watch! (she says sarcastically)

Did u see the Rita show 2 nights ago?

Yes, I did. And if you are referring to the pix, I think there is a very logical explanation for them. One was in the morning, when they knew one of the Smith's were missing, and the 2nd one was AFTER Marie cleaned out the room, after they were cleared to do so. It should also be acknowledged that the FBI was involved in that process too.

Is it your contention that Jennifer should not have gotten her things back? And if no, then how would you have expected Marie to gather their things? Levitate?

The problem with this case is, that people are hanging on every word that is said. If someone leaves out ONE detail, just to tell the condensed version, people automatically assume something is wrong with the facts.

I just don't see it that way, but then again, I am looking at it holistically.

IF as everyone says RCCL has a policy against bringing alcohol on board and IF the "Russians" George and Jennifer and the rest of the merry band of drunks were in a RCCL bar drinking Absinthe from a brought aboard bottle, don't ya think someone from RCCL would have confiscated it or at least noted it. Had to have a large enough bottle for all of those people to drink it.

Kind of a moot point Herman. As we all know, RCI does nothing to enforce their policies. Right?

Yes, I did. And if you are referring to the pix, I think there is a very logical explanation for them. One was in the morning, when they knew one of the Smith's were missing, and the 2nd one was AFTER Marie cleaned out the room, after they were cleared to do so. It should also be acknowledged that the FBI was involved in that process too.

Is it your contention that Jennifer should not have gotten her things back? And if no, then how would you have expected Marie to gather their things? Levitate?

The problem with this case is, that people are hanging on every word that is said. If someone leaves out ONE detail, just to tell the condensed version, people automatically assume something is wrong with the facts.

I just don't see it that way, but then again, I am looking at it holistically.

On that show, did they or didn't they say there may have been a compromise of the room? Its not just about the pics.

Corona - looks like we have to talk about this case here now and now "that other place" - wish they would explain themselves.

taiger - I think RCI has acknowledged that they MAY have made some errors but they are trying to say as little as possible and stay out of the FBI's way. It is the Smith's and their lawyers who keep dredging up every little flaw - whether real, perceived or false.

The pics were apparently taken 2 days apart - after their belongings were packed and the papers on the floor look like Daily Compasses - perhaps the cruise staff did not want to touch anything.

Kind of a moot point Herman. As we all know, RCI does nothing to enforce their policies. Right?

Smuggling a bottle for a pop in your cabin or verandah - sure I can see that - BUT to bring a bottle into the BAR - That's where RCL can and should have confiscated the bottle right then and there and they have the authority to do so.

Corona - looks like we have to talk about this case here now and now "that other place" - wish they would explain themselves.

taiger - I think RCI has acknowledged that they MAY have made some errors but they are trying to say as little as possible and stay out of the FBI's way. It is the Smith's and their lawyers who keep dredging up every little flaw - whether real, perceived or false.

The pics were apparently taken 2 days apart - after their belongings were packed and the papers on the floor look like Daily Compasses - perhaps the cruise staff did not want to touch anything.

The papers. Yes, they look like all of the crap that accumilates throughout the week. Compasses, and other stuff. Who's to say that while the Turkish Police were doing their investigation, they didn't mess up the room. Maybe the balcony door was opened, and then the cabin door, and some of the papers just blew onto the floor. We all know it's like a cat 2 hurricane in there when both doors are opened. WHO KNOWS, but I think it's all irrelevant.

[quote name='hermang']Weighing 175 pounds - Battling Richard Fain
And in this corner in the pink tights weighing 123 pounds MOTORMOUTH Jennifer Hegel Smith[/quote]

LOL, actually though, I think George's mom holds the title for "motormouth of the year".:D Hey, let the two of them duke it out.:D

[B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=4][FONT=Garamond]Ok, it was James Bond in the bathroom using the belt of a quilted robe. He was assisted by Ted of swimming in Mass. fame. Maybe the guy ain't dead and the swimming lessons he got from ole Ted may have worked.
Now that I have solved the case there are other issues.
Who is in charge and has control as far as police involvement and who to sue for what reason in what court.
The confusing stuff has just started.
[COLOR=DarkRed] Ship registered in the Bahamas.[/COLOR]
Cruise started in a different country.
[COLOR=DarkRed] He disaperard in yet another country.[/COLOR]
Police there did the investigation.
[COLOR=DarkRed] FBI has no standing except as allowed by RCI.[/COLOR]
FBI can only investigate outside the USA at the request of another.
[COLOR=DarkRed] What court would hear any actions the family may consider.[/COLOR]
There are at least four countries involved and it may well be assumed that whatever happened took place in international waters.
[COLOR=DarkRed] Now you have to go to international maritine law.[/COLOR]
So, it seems to this little mind that you/we will have fodder for years to discuse about this case. Oh well, back to my packing for my next cruise (I hope I don't forget the booze and wine).
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Archived