Suggestions for Calica

I am a first time cruiser, going on the Fascination in March. We are now going to Calica instead of Cozumel. I'm not complaining though, I'll be on vacation, won't have to cook or make beds and the weather will be warm. After a Michigan winter I can't wait. Any suggestions on what to do? Shore excursions or just going up to Playa del Carmen. My daught thinks she might like to parasail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi SBC, and welcome to the boards.:)

Don't faint when you see the port of Calica. It's nothing but a working rock quarry, with a few tents of vendors. Not to worry, though, because there will be a huge line of cabs ready to take you into Playa del Carmen. There are busses there, as well, for tours to one of the Mayan ruins.

PDC has a public beach, lots of nice restaurants on Avenue 5, and tons of shopping. Sorry you'll be miss Coz, but have a great cruise!

I agree, take a cab to Playa. I vacation there yearly and love the place. Great food, fun people and all the tequila you could handle.

I went to Cancun last yearto see how it's transformed since my honeymoon and I was rather disapointed. Not that Cancun was bad, we had fun. I just like Playa better... the beaches are amazing in Playa, BTW.;)

We really enjoyed Xcaret which you can see from the ship when it's docked in Calica. It's an ecological park and really nice. They have a nice beach, a dolphin encounter, snorkeling, not to mention all kinds of animals and such. It's really nice. This is the only shore excursion that we found that was actually cheaper than doing it on our own.

We did Xcaret and enjoyed it. They have quite a variety of things there, something to fit every taste I would think. Collector didn't mention the underground river you can float through. And there's a couple nice resteraunts, not cheap though.

I had no warning about Calica when we went. I couldn't believe my eyes when they pulled us into the middle of a rock quary, literally. The gangway from the ship actually crosses right over the conveyor belt they use for loading rock. I wasn't impressed. But it turned out to be a decent stop. We had a good time.

Since the park has only recently reopened, I wonder how many of the features in the park are open or functional. I saw it in November and it was extensively damaged. I didn't think they could reopen for several more months.

we were there in sept and had a blast. we never made it to playa. we rented a jeep at the dock and drove to the ruins at tulum. there we met up with eddie and did a private tour. he took us to some wonderful places snorkeling including a cave, sea turtles and a lagoon. there were 8 in out group. we were going to do lunch but never had time. the drive was easy to tulum. i have been on many cruises and this was one of the best shore excursions that i have ever done. i am not sure if eddie's website is up or not but you could do a search for edventure tours.

Ruins at Tulum are really a wonderful site. Recommend them highly. We did it on our own---rented a car from Executive Car Rental right there where we got off the ship in Calica. We were given great directions from the agency for getting to/from Tulum. Just a thought! :)

I just thought about an amusing incident that happened at Calica. They have vendors on the dock in tents. As we were leaving the pier, some of the vendors were standing on the dock waving. One of them actually called out "Come back soon and bring your money!!" We thought that was really funny.

You're right about the underground river at Xcaret. That was one of the things that we enjoyed the most. If you time it right, they also have some interesting shows.

Calica actually turned out to be an interesting port. We loved Playa and we're looking forward to going back there to stay at an all inclusive.

cathyGood morning Cathy,

Eddie's name is Eduardo Romano

Tour shop 984-871-2209

home 984-875-4151

cell 044 984 806 4102

cell 044 984 804 1386

edventure68@hotmail.com

These are the contact numbers that i have for Eddie. His wifes name is Bonnie.

You will have a memorable time. We had a ages 17 to 60 in our family group and it was great. plan on the whole day with him. you will have no regrets.

pam

hope you find this here

Archived