Mexican Riviera w/ 18-28 year old kids: Royal Caribbean or Princess?

My husband and I are contemplating a trip within the next year and a half or so that would involve our 4 kids and our son-in-law. A large reason for this trip would be to celebrate our youngest going off to college in August (only 7 months and 14 days!), leaving our nest empty. We'll probably include a wedding vow renewal in this trip.

With multiple college and work schedules to juggle, with last year's hurricane season being what it was, with the cost of Christmas vacations (especially when your are talking about at least 7 people), and with 18 to 28 year olds wanting to be able to do their own thing but still meet up for dinner and conversation, I was thinking a Pacific Coast (ie, Mexican Riviera) Cruise next Thanksgiving seemed like the best solution.

As most of you know, there are several lines that offer a Mexican Riviera cruise, but I *think* (you may prove me wrong!) that I have narrowed it down to either the Diamond Princess or the RCL's Vision of the Seas. My husband and I have been on cruises with both lines, and we loved them both, but the Princess cruise, being 17 days in October, was not a good indicator of how appropriate the line typically is for young adults (18, 21, 25, 28, and 30).

I am leaning a bit toward the Diamond Princess, mostly because I would like a balcony cabin for us parents, and RCL seems to not have them available for this sailing.

Any suggestions? Words of wisdom? Tactics designed to help my husband see the inerrable wisdom of my reasoning here?;)

Thank you in advance for any help!

We did the Mexican Riviera cruise on RCL's Vision of the Seas. The Vision is an older, smaller ship. We had a nice time, but in one of the ports we pulled in behind the Princess ship and it was beautiful. We talked to some people in port who were on the Princess ship and they just raved about it. Prior to the Vision, we had sailed on the Voyager and Mariner and loved those ships. We found the food to be just ok, and found that there wasn't as much to do on this ship as on the other ships. Our tablemates who were traveling with their daughter who was 17 and a son who was 21 felt the same. The kids said they were a little bored while on the ship. We had a good time, but we thought if we ever did this cruise again, we would try Princess.

I would have guessed the opposite, that the late night party scene on RCI would be much more lively than that of Princess. (If your young people enjoy that sort of thing.)

I think Princess overall attracts an older crowd - but as you pointed out, perhaps less so on the shorter 7 day cruises.

I would have guessed the opposite, that the late night party scene on RCI would be much more lively than that of Princess. (If your young people enjoy that sort of thing.)

I think Princess overall attracts an older crowd - but as you pointed out, perhaps less so on the shorter 7 day cruises.

Mexican Riv cruises always seem to be party cruises, not matter what line you are on. Maybe cause they leave from L.A.;) but I would go for Princess. Brand new ship, bigger than panamax size and lots of activities. I am a big fan of RCI but next time for mex riv, I would do Princess.

Archived