Rhine Basel to Amsterdam Viking

stefcourt1

Last year 6 of us from the boat had the concierge make reservations for us at a good (authentic) restaurant in town. We went together, shared our food, had some drinks and enjoyed our time and fantastic German food. I think it cost us all about $25-$30/ea and I can't imagine the pricey excursion would have been any more enjoyable.

I'm doing the same cruise again this summer, and plan to do the same again. Also, Rüdesheim was nice to have time to walk around before/after dinner.

Last year 6 of us from the boat had the concierge make reservations for us at a good (authentic) restaurant in town. We went together, shared our food, had some drinks and enjoyed our time and fantastic German food. I think it cost us all about $25-$30/ea and I can't imagine the pricey excursion would have been any more enjoyable.

I'm doing the same cruise again this summer, and plan to do the same again. Also, Rüdesheim was nice to have time to walk around before/after dinner.

Do you recall the name of the restaurant?

Do you recall the name of the restaurant?

Yes! It was called Ratsstube. It was busy, so it was good we had reservations. We all ordered something different and shared.

When in Kohl, I suggest going to Früh Kölsch and get Himmel un Ääd. Then, if you are an adventurous eater, go to Päffgen Bierhaus in der Salzgasse for Mettbrötchen.

And, when in Heidelberg go to Vetter for lunch. Have some Vetter 33, and some Bratwurst! Your guide will probably mention it because of the Vetter 33.

I think almost everywhere we went, I tried to have some local food. The food on the ship is great, but nothing like eating local. Enjoy!

We did the “Dine in Rudesheim” excursion two years ago and loved it. We sailed from Amsterdam to Basel, and by that point had met many of the people on the cruise, about 40 of whom took this excursion. The evening was staged in an open courtyard and the Viking tables were close to the action. There was live music, wine flowed freely, a few games, sing alongs, the food was good and we hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time. As darkness fell, the atmosphere felt like we had been transported back to Germany at the beginning of the last century with everyone eating, drinking, singing and having a great time. It may not be for everyone, but we truly enjoyed it.