Ferry to Rum Point??

MTinGA

We will be going to GC next week. Would really like to go to Rum POint, but nervous about driving rental. I prefer to drive at leisure, but I thought I saw a ferry to Rum Point somewhere? Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks for response. Now I know I need to rent a car. Is it a difficult (confusing, congested, etc. ) drive to Rum Point? Have never driven on left side of road and do not want to anger locals!! Thanks for any help you can give me. I really want to have a nice relaxing beach day.

We are seniors and rented a car on GC and drove up to Rum Point. It was a very easy drive and not much traffic. If we could do it, anyone can. You can also ask the rental company for a car with a drivers wheel on the left hand side instead of the usual right hand in GC.

Thanks for the info. I am so grateful for all the replies and help on this board. I have rented a car for the day, and I feel more confident knowing others have done this. Like I said before, it is just not knowing that is so unnerving for me. I have heard Rum Point is beautiful and would like to do something a little different! Thanks so much!

Driving is a snap! We were also worried, but don't. You'll be fine. Just remember when you come to a roundabout, that you have to yield (the sign says "give way") to those already inside.

The great thing about driving in Cayman is we didn't see a speed limit sign over 50. I think the signs were round, with the number inside. Do be careful and watch for these (on the way to Run Point), because we'd be tooling along at 50, and the speed would drop to 30, then 20, then back to 50 (or whatever it was).

We had a car with the drivers side on the left (like the US). That helped. In fact, we saw about the same number of people in the left sided steering wheel as the right. The rental cars all had white plates, and the locals had yellow (most of them). If in doubt, we followed a local. :)

As for Rum Point, it was beautiful. It's very tropical, and shaded. We were a tad bit dissapointed because the place was packed (the day we were there). There are tour boats there, that had done the stingrays, and then to Rum Point. We ended up leaving, but had lunch first.

Make sure and get a map. There's a cut-through, although it not a big road, and you could easily drive by it without even knowing it. The turn off is not too far from the Lighthouse restaurant. You turn left, and the make another left once you get to the end of the road. If you have time, after Rum Point, continue on the road, and take a drive around the houses that are located at the end of the point there. They are really pretty.

When you drive, watch out the sides of you windows. Motorcycles passed us on both sides. If traffic is stopped, motorcycles seem to just buzz on by. On West Bay Road (I think that's the name of the main one), when you go toward Hell, there is a turn lane that runs almost the entire length. There are vehicles that will just drive down this, and then maybe turn, maybe not. The good thing is you are not going very fast. We found the Cayman's to be very friendly drivers. Someone always let us in. If you let someone in, they will honk. That's their way of saying thanks.

Rent a car. Explore the island. We went all over the place and it was amazing!

Archived