Fort Lauderdale - hotel - port....Help please

Guest hockeychic

The Sleep Inn is not a glamours hotel but our experience was clean and convenient, and the people were wonderful, we were only there 1 night. I don't believe there's much for kids to do so you might want to check on that. How long were you going to be staying there?

We have always stayed at a more upscale hotel before we left on a cruise just because it was the beginning of another dream vacation. We just couldn't justify the prices down there for just the night.

Did you see curlyd"s question asking about the CoCcoBelle, it looked pretty nice, I thought I would check into it next time I'm there. Right next to the beach, of course I didn't check the price.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d633477-r7476815-Cocobelle_Resort-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Dianne

The only thing I can't seem to find out about is if there are restaurant's, drug stores etc within walking distance. We won't have a car so I don't want to have to cab everywhere.

The only thing I can't seem to find out about is if there are restaurant's, drug stores etc within walking distance. We won't have a car so I don't want to have to cab everywhere.

Drug store next door to the hotel & an Italian restaurant and a Mexican restaurant (both very good) and I think a sandwich shop, as well as a Supermarket right across the street.

The Sleep Inn is not a glamours hotel but our experience was clean and convenient, and the people were wonderful, we were only there 1 night. I don't believe there's much for kids to do so you might want to check on that. How long were you going to be staying there?

We have always stayed at a more upscale hotel before we left on a cruise just because it was the beginning of another dream vacation. We just couldn't justify the prices down there for just the night.

Did you see curlyd"s question asking about the CoCcoBelle, it looked pretty nice, I thought I would check into it next time I'm there. Right next to the beach, of course I didn't check the price.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d633477-r7476815-Cocobelle_Resort-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Dianne

We will only be there one night. It will be 4 adults and 1 child(she's 14). The only problem that I'm having is trying to find something that allows smoking. My mom and mother-in-law are both smokers. They (sleep inn) have a pool so that will be no problem, the 14 yr old is on the swim team at school, so that will occupy her. I was wondering about a liquor store, I have read on other post that there is wine and beer available. But what about booze?

Thanks for the help.

Angie

Angie, Bequia would be the one to answer, I don't remeber a liquor store close. Friends of ours went to total wine, and found everything they needed. Maybe Bequia could tell us how far that is from the sleep inn if you stay there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toto2Kansas viewpost.gif

http://www.totalwine.com/storeList.a...e=FL&store=904

This is the best liquor store we have found so far in Fort Lauderdale. And very close to the pier, a short taxi ride there and back.

Another cool thing about Total Wine is their online ordering so you can order your products a few days before you arrive and they will have it bagged and ready to go when you arrive. Saves time if you're using a taxi.

post_old.gif February 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM

image.php?u=104877&dateline=1150635312Bequia

5,000+ Club

icon14.gifTotal Wine

Total Wine by far is the biggest and best place to purchase liquor in Ft Lauderdale. Located in the new Harbor Shops Plaza behind the Embassy Suites on S.E.17th Street. Total Wine is to liquor what Home Depot is to lumber. It's HUGE!!!! Total Wine employees are very knowledgeable about their inventory, especially their wines, they even have a staffed reference desk to help you.

Gmomof3k, I had asked our TA to book us somewhere for one post-cruise night, and she booked us at the Comfort Suites Air/Cruiseport because it's close to the cruiseport and the airport and has a free shuttle, but after reading Tripadvisor reviews of that hotel, I cancelled our booking and rebooked us at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center. Also, the Holiday Inn Express is about 1/3 mile from one of the Water Taxi's stops, and we'd like to be able to take the Water Taxi around town once we drop off our bags.

Bequia~Where would be the closest place to the Sleep Inn to purchase hard liquor, like rum or vodka. A friend of mine said she got her's from and Albertson's with a Liquor store attached. Anything like that around there?

Hope you're haveing a wonderful weekend down there,

Thanks,

Dianne

patsina55

we are thinking of booking the Holiday Inn Express Conventions Center too.

I have been going crazy reading everything but this site is fantastic.:) We are not familiar with this area at all.

Thank you so much for those that have given such great advice and comments.

Bequia~Where would be the closest place to the Sleep Inn to purchase hard liquor, like rum or vodka. A friend of mine said she got her's from and Albertson's with a Liquor store attached. Anything like that around there?

Hope you're haveing a wonderful weekend down there,

Thanks,

Dianne

Thanks so much for all of your help!!! Have a great weekend!

Angie

NO, No, NO! Stay far away from this property! Any property on State Road 84 is questionable, this one is downright nasty. Search the board, many feel the same way. ;)

We totally disagree with you on this one. We thought the Ramada airport/cruise port hotel was very nice....loved the room, pool, great free hot breakfast buffet, staff was nice, restaurant was very good, enjoyed the entertainment in the lounge, neat marina restaurant for lunch within walking distance and shuttles worked out well.

I'm glad to hear the hotel itself met your expectations. Sounds like they may have cleaned up their act. Unfortunately it's the property location that contributes to the properties desirability. It's located on a heavily traveled truckers route surrounded by hotels and motels that rent by the hour. Prostitution, drugs, assaults, are not uncommon on this corridor.

With so many hotels to choose from in safe neighborhoods geared towards the vacationer, why jeopardize ruining your vacation to save a few dollars? :o

There is a liquor store on Sheridan St. (same street as the Sleep Inn). I believed its called Crown liquors. Its about 2.25 miles from the hotel. Just remember in Hollywood they cannot sell liquor on Sunday's before noon.

A quick cab ride might be the way to go, or if you can talk to the van driver at the hotel maybe he will take you for a few bucks.

Linda

Hollywood resident

:) :) :)

We also attempted to find a Park/Fly/Sleep hotel like we used on our last cruise out of Miami, but no dice. That said, we have stayed many times at the Riverside Hotel on Los Olas Blvd. in the past and think it is a great hotel at a reasonable price. I booked for our cruise in Sept. & got a room for $139 which, considering location, etc., we felt was a good price.

Instead of driving our own car, it is less $ for us to rent a car each way. The Riverside has a deal with Enterprise, so we went with them & can just leave our car there at the hotel. After the cruise, we'll take a cab to the airport - not far- & pick up our rental. This solution is less $ than parking all week or taking an airport/limo from Key West - and more flexible for us, too.

hiya,

i hope you can help me. I am looking to stay at the westin diplomat in hollywood.

can anyone tell me about how much a taxi from the airport would cost to the hotel and then back to the port?

are there shops and restaurants within walking distance?

thanks in advance,

kahlan

• 8 months later...
How is it getting in and out of the cruise terminal? I've read on here that it gets pretty hectic. What would be a good time to arrive for embarkation?

It's organized chaos, 11am is a good arrival time.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit early but it costs nothing to make a reservation. Look around, see something you like book it now and then check back to see if the rates have gone down. Chances are the rates will go up and you'll be locked in to a decent (lower) rate.

Archived