Question For Seasoned Travelers - Your Recommendations?

Farhibide

Hi everyone! My husband and I have booked our first cruise to Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Georgetown, Grand Cayman for May 7, 2006! We're really excited, but after looking at the excursions available on the RCCL website, we're confused.

We definitely want to go on some of these amazing tours, but we would also like some time on our own to visit the beach and local points of interest. With that in mind, do any of you seasoned vacationers have any recommendations for us for visiting Jamaica or GC?

We would also appreciate any tips on what to watch out for/avoid while on shore, and any good restaurants, inexpensive sight-seeing, opportunities or shops near the landings. Thanks for your help! :)

I've not been to Jamaica yet, but having been in GC (and going again this Sept), I can say that there is lots to do. Consider booking a private tour with Nativeways or Captain Marvins, both are much cheaper than those you would book on the ship. The ship excursions always sound very appealing and for the most part, they are, but what they don't tell you is that you will be travelling with a large group (vs normally smaller groups on the private tours), and often shuttled around like cattle. These experiences are often sanitized (sometimes a good thing) vs. experiencing the actual 'reality' of the island.

Another caution of GC and you should check out the GC board is that it often VERY crowded with many ships in port and this can make tendering there very challenging.

Read this board to find out about private Jamaica tour companies as well as some 'warnings' about what to expect.

Dunns River Falls is one of "the" things to do while in Ocho Rios. You can use one of the providers recommended on these boards. We learned about and used Peat Taylor's services last January and had a great time. www.peattaylor.com He was very informative and took great care of us for the day. We also when tubing on the White River and stopped at a resort we had stayed at previously. He then dropped us back at Island Viallge to do our shopping and have some food and drinks at Margaritaville. I strongly recommend using a tour guide or ship excursion while in OR. It just can get a little hairy sometimes and why risk it while on vacation.

Grand Cayman - Stingray City is "the" thing to do there. As recommended above you can use a local operator for this as well. They will give you a better experience for less money. This island however is easily a "jump off and grab a cab and not think twice about it" place. You can grab a taxi and be at the beach in less than 10 minutes and have a great day. You can shop right near the pier, have lunch etc. There is also "Hell" which is a fun place to send postcards and get entertaining t-shirts and Rum Point is supposed to be a beautiful beach. They also have a turtle farm and the Turtuga Rum factory.

Keep asking and have fun.

Archived