Formal Night

Cacky1

Would someone that has been cruising please answer this for me? Do you see more cocktail dresses or long gowns in the dining room on formal night? I have both and I am leaning towards the cocktail.

You'll see plenty of both... if you want to wear the cocktail dress, go for it, you won't be out of place.

I agree, go with whatever you would be most comfortable in. My daughter has worn both, but large gowns are cumbersome to pack. She now has a long gown in a jersey material and a "little black dress" that she packs for formal nights on most cruises. Either would be perfectly acceptable, so I say go with whatever is easy to pack. Also, remember to wear the tightest one on the FIRST formal night - lol :D

Most nights Carnival allows about anything except tank tops and shorts. On Conquest December 11, we saw a lady wearing blue jeans on a formal night, they were pressed nicely, and probably cost more than many of the dresses, most women had on. Nobody said a word that we know of, so feel free to wear about whatever you want. "Your paying for the trip, so you can wear about anything you want" is what I've heard and believe to be true

If it's true only about 1% of cruiser post here, it's a good thing. This post would lead people to think formal night doesn't exist.

You will find those participating in formal night to be elegantly dressed. Those not dressed will be directed to the casual dining room.

If it's true only about 1% of cruiser post here, it's a good thing. This post would lead people to think formal night doesn't exist.

You will find those participating in formal night to be elegantly dressed. Those not dressed will be directed to the casual dining room.

That should have happend on our cruise I think. I enjoy formal nights. There are always people that push the envelope successfully as the lady did on formal night on our cruise.

I am wearing cocktail dresses for both of our formal nights. I find the bigger/longer the dress, the more difficult it is to pack and keep looking nice. I am also very choosy about the fabrics for just that reason as well. And I second the above poster who said "Wear the tighter dress on your first formal." LOL - I had already planned to do that! ;)

You will even see jeans... :D

This response in no way answers the question asked by the OP. It is merely a comment meant to incite what could lead to another heated debate that has already been hashed out here a bazilliontrillion times. To answer the OP's question I think you will see more cocktail type dresses so that would be an excellent choice.

Button - On cruises five nights or shorter, there is ONE formal night, usually your second night aboard the ship. On longer cruises, there are two formal nights.

B8 - The maitre d' on your cruise just wasn't doing his job. I've also seen people on more than one cruise asked by the maitre d' to either change to more appropriate attire, or have their dinner in the Lido buffet area. That's the way it should be.:)

On the Spirit we sure saw everything. The couple who set behind us wore jeans or sweat pants every night. Except on formal.... there was sequins on her T-Shirt and she wore pearls with it.

We like to dress up, but some of us wore formals and some wore pants with sequin or beaded tops. What ever your comfortable in works just fine.

This response in no way answers the question asked by the OP. It is merely a comment meant to incite what could lead to another heated debate that has already been hashed out here a bazilliontrillion times. To answer the OP's question I think you will see more cocktail type dresses so that would be an excellent choice.

And you will still see jeans. People seem to imply that jeans will get you excluded from the main dining rooms which is not the case. Some who happen to be excluded may well be wearing jeans, but it is usually because of a ratty tshirt or some other offense and not because of jeans.

There is nothing to debate.

Button - On cruises five nights or shorter, there is ONE formal night, usually your second night aboard the ship. On longer cruises, there are two formal nights.

B8 - The maitre d' on your cruise just wasn't doing his job. I've also seen people on more than one cruise asked by the maitre d' to either change to more appropriate attire, or have their dinner in the Lido buffet area. That's the way it should be.:)

Agree with you fully. It didn't happen on our cruise for whatever reason. Who knows maybe the person's luggage never showed up it was formal night 1.

To the OP

I just got off outhe Liberty. I can assure you there was a mix of every kind of dress, gown, and skirt and pants suit. Very few in the dining room were not dressed formally and yes, they were allowed in.

Oops I didn't think this got posted thus the double similar postings.

And you will still see jeans. People seem to imply that jeans will get you excluded from the main dining rooms which is not the case. Some who happen to be excluded may well be wearing jeans, but it is usually because of a ratty tshirt or some other offense and not because of jeans.

There is nothing to debate.

I just got off the Liberty. There was an even mix of gown, cocktail dresses and dressy skirt and pants suits. No one was NOT allowed in because of what they were wearing. I never saw dress codes enforced. There is a sign that says "proper attire is required" - whatever that means. Young people were in jean shorts for ex. on formal optional night. And an earlier discussion before I left re: footwear was crazy. Anything goes. And I didn't see anyone looking at my feet. :p Though I happened not to wear flip flops to dinner.

Thanks so much for all of your answers to my post. You all have been so much help to us. We are first timers and as excited as we are getting I am sure it won't be long and we will be planning another. We have all of our clothes ready and waiting to go in our luggage. We have all of the "have to have" items that I have seen on here ready to go. We went yesterday and bought ginger pills for me just in case. So now we are just waiting on the 22nd. to fly to Miami for our sailing on the 23rd. Oh yeah and we are still waiting on Eventure Tours. We will be very disappointed if we cant get together with them. :) Thanks again everyone for your help.

Cathy in warm South Carolina :)

Naked people are not served in any public restaurant - you'll have to order room service. Otherwise, enjoy!

Cacky1,

Enjoy your cruise....it's the best way ever to travel!!!

I hope you also enjoy your formal nights. (Our family has always enjoyed the tradition of formal nights that have always been a part of cruising.) Make sure to have photos made. Have a great time! Bon Voyage!

No one was NOT allowed in because of what they were wearing. I never saw dress codes enforced.

Then your maitre d' was not doing his job. I would have laughed if he wanted a tip.

Our maitre d' turned them away.

Would someone that has been cruising please answer this for me? Do you see more cocktail dresses or long gowns in the dining room on formal night? I have both and I am leaning towards the cocktail.

Cocktail dresses will be just fine!! Think of it this way, dress as you would going to a wedding. I too like to dress up - I like the formality of table cloths and cloth napkins, servers in formal wear...It isn't Perkins or Outback Steakhouse.

On the official Formal nights, you will see very fancy gowns and tuxedos. Spangly dresses...That, to me if very fun to see!! We don't go to that degree, but definitely are dressed in suits/dresses/heels - including the kids!!!

Then your maitre d' was not doing his job. I would have laughed if he wanted a tip.

Our maitre d' turned them away.

I have to agree with jobythebay. I saw shorts and flip-flops in the dining room on regular nights and normal clothes on formal nights.

Archived