Aft staterooms on Star/Dawn/Jewel

professor

My brother booked an "AE" category stateroom on the Jewel that faces aft on Deck 9, and asked me if there are any significant problems with staterooms at the rear of these ships. I have no personal experience with aft-facing staterooms, and would appreciate any comments. Is there any particular 'downside' -- or any special characteristics worth noting -- to staterooms at the rear of the ship facing aft?

Personally, these are our favorites. We have stayed in aft penthouse suites on the Dawn, twice, and found that they are our favorites. We are now booked in an aft Penthouse on the Spirit in July. The view of the wake from the balcony is beautiful. And, you can't beat how relaxing it is to leave the sliding doors open and listen to the churning sea below at night. IMHO, aft is the best location on a ship.

professor,

We have stayed in an AE on the Dawn and are going back in September. The wind isn't a factor in the stern. You can spend tiem on your balcony anytime. The cabin is large and is really nice.

He'll love it!

Happy Sailing,

Monty

We love the AE/AD category suites in the back! The rooms are a very nice size and we love the view - saw whales and dolphins playing in the wake last year on our trip on the Star. We have booked an AE for the Dawn in March. There is NO WIND like up in the front or on some of the decks. It is really nice to sit out on the bacony in the lounge chairs. I noticed that for our March trip, all of the AE category suites have already been booked and many of the higher categories are still empty. Enjoy!

My brother booked an "AE" category stateroom on the Jewel that faces aft on Deck 9, and asked me if there are any significant problems with staterooms at the rear of these ships. I have no personal experience with aft-facing staterooms, and would appreciate any comments. Is there any particular 'downside' -- or any special characteristics worth noting -- to staterooms at the rear of the ship facing aft?

The aft-facing cabins are our favorite! Just a note that there are 2 AE aft-facing cabins on deck 9 of the Jewel that are handicapped accessible cabins (shoreguy had one on the Jewel) If your brother has #9172 or #9632 booked there is a chance if a handicapped person requests the cabin they will move your brother to a different AE cabin. I think shoreguy posted that these 2 cabins don't have one piece of furniture (I think the love seat), to make room for a wheel chair in the cabin...

If they have#9172 or #9632 you may want to check out shoreguys photos from the Jewel, I'm sure he took pictures.

:)

Can anyone confirm whether or not the balcony can open up to an adjoining balcony? Currently we are booked in a mini while my parents are in a suite. In between is a open balcony I'd upgrade to for my kids if we could all open up the balconies.

I was LogCabins neighbor on the Dawn and we will both tell you that they are the best balconies! We loved it.

No, they are not combinable and do not "open" to the next cabin's balcony.

I'd book this cabin as my first choice every time.

We were in an AE on the Dawn last January. We were booked in an AE for this January but noticed a drop of $500 a piece in the price of the AC on the same cruise before final payment. Save money, and slightly larger cabin and much larger deck! I know the wind will be an issue under way but we are old sailors on Long Island Sound so we will deal.:)

I know the VAST majority love the aft facing cabins. The view is FANTASTIC and the isolation and shortness of the corridor outside the room is great. Recently on a cruise onboard the CONSTELLATION, we had an aft cabin, but probably will not book another. It unnerved me to be unable to see where we were going. I found myself constantly leaving the cabin to go to the promenade deck to see foreward...especially when approaching a port (my favorite part of a cruise). Our cabin reminded me of the days when we would fight to ride in the rear facing seat of a station wagon. It was an interesting novelty, but eventually we would end up in front again. Maybe I just need the wind in my face when on a cruise. They ARE great cabins though....just not for everyone.

I know I have seen some pics in here from the back end of this ship! Now that I am looking of course I can't find these pictures! WE are loooking at a BA at the aft end of the ship! Any help woudl be great!!:D

The aft-facing cabins are our favorite! Just a note that there are 2 AE aft-facing cabins on deck 9 of the Jewel that are handicapped accessible cabins (shoreguy had one on the Jewel) If your brother has #9172 or #9632 booked there is a chance if a handicapped person requests the cabin they will move your brother to a different AE cabin.

This is simply not true. After a booking, the cruise line rarely checks on who books which cabin.

So, if an able-bodied knowingly books a handicapped accessible cabin, he may be taking it from someone who really needs it.:mad:

There are 2 AE aft-facing cabins on deck 9 of the Jewel that are handicapped accessible cabins (shoreguy had one on the Jewel) If your brother has #9172 or #9632 booked there is a chance if a handicapped person requests the cabin they will move your brother to a different AE cabin. :)

I'm assuming that the handicapped AE staterooms have some sort of modifications in the bathroom area (the shower, etc.).

Hey BAITMAN19 !

As I can see, you went many times on the NCL DAWN, so I can understand that the time you sail on this ship, you fall in love with it! Am I right?

I go on the Dawn on february 2nd 2006 for the 10 days eastern Caribbeans round-trip from NYC.

I have a question for you: Did you keep the FREESTYLE DAILY programs from your 10 days eastern carib. cruise? Can you scan it or photograph and share it to us, I wish to be well prepared for the trip. Can you put the serie of FREESTYLE DAILY from the 10 days eastern caribbeans cruise available on this forum, it could be very cool and informative.

Thank you Batiman19!

Steph

we have an an aft facing cabin on the Jewel in March and it will be our first time with a rear balcony. We have friends joining us and they were leary of the back cabins so they booked midship....we will enjoy visiting each others cabins!

Thanks for everyones input.... I enjoyed the knowledge in this thread.

We had an Aft facing Penthouse on Deck 8 of the Jewel. We really liked the room, but we felt a lot of vibration and rocking especially when the seas were rough. With that said, I loved standing on the balcony and watching the ocean pass behind us. We also avoided all of the horrible wind that those in the front dealt with. I think we'd definitely book an aft room again.

Archived