Excursions on Sun Cruise

alexis4014

I am going on my first cruise (NCL Sun) on February 11th. The ports of call are Costa Maya, Santo Tomas de Castilla (Guatamala), Belize City, and Cozumel. I printed out the list of ship-sponsored shore excursions, but am totally overwhelmed. I'm wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice about which NCL excursions are "can't miss" and/or which ports I should skip the cruise sponsored ones and go out on my own (with my boyfriend). Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I can't help you on anything other than Belize or Cozumel. We were on the Sun last April and booked all of our excursions on our own. We went Cave Tubing in Belize, it was a blast. In Cozumel we just walked around downtown and shopped.

The Port of Call boards are extremely helpful. That is where I found all my info.

1/28/06 is the 1st cruise for the Sun with this itinerary. We will be on that cruise. I am sure you will be able to get 1st hand information on the differant excursions. We are planning to do cave-tubing in Belize, beach day at Costa Maya, beach day at Cozumel, and Amatique Bay Resort in Guatemala. All excursions will be done on our own. Will let you know how we like them when we get back.

Paul

200601281700_23.gif

Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts

Try the Ports of Call forum. There is a whole lot of great information there and so much depends upo what you are looking for. When we were in Cozumel, we wanted a purely 'beachy' day so spent it at Mr Sanchos beach resort with our teens - plenty of fun in the sun, great food and drinks. But the national park in Cozumel (can't remember the name) with the dolphins gets rave reviews too.

It really depends on what you like to do. We are also going on Jan 28th (but have been to 2 of the ports before (Belize and Cozumel).

Belize: If you like history and ruins - do a tour that includes ruins.

On our last cruise, we did the Lamanai and New River tour (exciting speed boat ride down the New River with stops for animal viewing and then the great ruins at Lamanai). It takes a full day - so this is one I would do through the cruiseship (The private operators who offered this tour were literally only a few dollars cheaper. We got back to the tender docks just in time to catch the 2nd last tender.) If you are planning a full day excursion, it is safer to go through the cruiseship (They will wait if one of their own tours is delayed but not for independents). If you just plan a half day, the choice is yours. If you want an active day, many people enjoy cave tubing and the private operators seem to get the best reviews. This time we are just taking a snorkeling tour throught the ship. check the Ports of Call board - lots of reviews of various excursions.

Cozumel: I would do this on your own. Before the hurricane there was very good off-the-beach snorkeling. Currently if you want good snorkeling, you will probably have to go out in a boat. This time we just plan to go to a beach.

Costa Maya: - check the ports of call. It sounds like there are a number of things that you can arrange on your own. We hope to go to the Mayan ruins

at Chaccoben through a local tour operator.

Guatemala: Unless you are just going somewhere nearby (like Amatique Bay)

or are very fluent in Spanish, I would take a ship excursion. We are taking the ship Amatique Bay Beach Day excursion.

If you like to snorkel, contact Eagle Ray Divers. Their website is eagleraydivers.com (Ithink). They take only a few people on their boats (which are not luxurious, but safe) out to two or three different reefs (depending on your time frame), and guide/watch you the entire time you are in the water. I saw more fish and coral and other sea life with Miguel than I ever had before - including Tahiti! And the cost is about half what you pay through the cruise lines. AND they guarantee they will get you back in plenty of time to catch your ship.

If you want to shop: just get off the ship and walk. And be prepared for some hurricane destruction. :(

Chan Kanab (?) was totally destroyed in the hurricanes. The dolphins were moved to Playa del Carmel (this was in December), and no one seemed to know when the marine park will be rebuilt. Most of the beaches/sand were blown away and they were planning on going to the other side of the island (the open ocean side) to retrieve the sand and bring it back to the Caribbean side to rebuild the beaches. Carlos & Charlies did not expect to be up and running again until at least March. :(

Chan Kanab (?) was totally destroyed in the hurricanes. The dolphins were moved to Playa del Carmel (this was in December), and no one seemed to know when the marine park will be rebuilt. Most of the beaches/sand were blown away and they were planning on going to the other side of the island (the open ocean side) to retrieve the sand and bring it back to the Caribbean side to rebuild the beaches. Carlos & Charlies did not expect to be up and running again until at least March. :(

From another poster:

"We were in Cozumel on Friday, December 30. Glad to say that Carlos & Charlies is open and doing a land-office business. All of the same craziness is waiting for everyone who stops in.

This place ROCKS!!!!"

Archived