Sightseeing in Curacao

cruiseapril

We were in Curacao in April and wanted to revisit the area surrounding Willemstad and then visit the house we had lived in for two years, some years ago.

We signed up for the ship's "Curacao Highlights" tour-took the bus tour with a very good guide- stopped at the Curacao Museum, crossed the high bridge (had photo ops), went through a variety of neighborhoods to Jan Thiel for a stop and views, then stopped at Chobolobo- the landhouse where Curacao Liqueur is made. We headed back through town, where our guide pointed out many of the historic sites. Then back to the ship.

After lunch on board, we headed out on our own-hired a van and went looking for our old house. We travelled a different route this time, found the house in Santa Rosa-were given an impromtu tour by the gracious owner and then asked the driver to leave us in town. The three of us each had cameras, so we photographed what has been described as a "photographer's dream"- the beautiful buildings of Willemstad.

I was enjoying reliving my shopping experiences in town, when years ago, I would shop once a week for hours, with great satisfaction. I found that things had not changed very much. The shops are still good; the shopkeepers are polite. However, I had never before seen men with boas on their shoulders (or with huge iguanas) at the shopping area. What a sight!

Curacao is a great place for snorkeling and other water sports-excursions which are more exciting than touring, but our day of touring was very enjoyable.

Have a wonderful cruise. Look forward to your review of Curacao.

Wanted to add that Curacao has some very interesting landhouses (Chobolobo is just one) and the architecture in general is quite colorful and to some, quite beautiful. Willemstad is a World Heritage Site in part because of the architecture.

Archived