Question from a disabled person about transportation from London to Southampton?

CCotton5

We are sailing on the Westbound QM2 to New York this coming August. I have a chronically broken right foot. We are taking this cruise for our 35th anniversary. I have a question about getting from Heathrow and traveling to Southampton to the cruise port. Will I have a difficult time, if the Simpson-Orient train leaves from Victoria Station, getting through the station and to the train? Are there alternatives to easily getting to Southampton? I would appreciate any suggestions you could give me. When I travel, I wear an air-valve cast that juts my foot out at a 90 degree angle and the cast goes up just below my knee.

Thanks,

Christy

• 3 weeks later...

Signman, thanks for the info for Woodford service in London. I e-mailed them a week ago for a quote on their service and haven't heard back from them. I'm very interested in using their service from Heathrow to Southampton. We are debating whether to arrive in London the day before the QM2 sails and staying in a hotel or flying in and going directly to the ship. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Christy

Christy

How did you send the email? was it via their web site or directly to their email address?

It's not like Woodford not to respond very quickly so I think you should email them again (or even call if you are in the UK, which I don't think you are actually) :)

Signman, when I saw your original post, you had the web site on the Cunard board in an answer to my question. I clicked on that link and e-mailed Woodford. I put in all the information, that we would arrive at Heathrow, LHR, the number of pieces of luggage we would have, and that we needed transportation for two from LHR to Southampton for a voyage on the QM2. I will e-mail again. I have the international calling plan and maybe I will try to phone them.

As my husband and I are planning this cruise now for August, I think we are going to stay overnight in London and stop over to get rested up on Saturday and then have Woodford pick us up at the hotel.

Signman, I see you are in the Baltimore area. We are south of Washington, DC in Virginia.

Thanks for the replies from English Rose and Kevankiki.

Since I have everyone's attention, would you please give me a recommendation for a 4 or 5 star hotel in Londan? We want one with air conditioning, (I have been on business trips with my husband to London in the summer and the hotels were pre-chosen for us by his host companies in the UK). We need a nice hotel, preferably a recommendation from someone who has stayed at that hotel. Then we would take Woodford transportation to Southampton. How much approximately is the transportation to Southampton from London?

Thank you all so much for the information.

Christy, staff writer for a newspaper in the northern VA area.

Archived