Transportation from Southampton to London?

cunardfirsttimer

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for getting reasonable transportation from the Southampton port to our hotel in London, as we plan to stay a few days after our QM2 crossing. We will not be able to take advantage of Cunard's transfers as we are not going directly to the airport. So far I've found we can take South West trains, from Southampton to London Waterloo, express with only one stop in between (90 minutes) at a very reasonable rate. Hubby is concerned with having to manage 2 children and our luggage while making our way to the station, and then once we reach our destination, do the same while finding our way to a taxi stand. I've just sent an email request for pricing of a car service to drive us to our hotel in London and am awaiting a response.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this? If so, your recommendations are most welcome! Thanks...

Frances

Your situation sounds a lot like mine was just a week ago. My parents and I, coming from different continents and meeting in London, were on the QE2's 16-day yuletide cruise. Between us we had 6 large checked bags (50-70 lbs each), three large carry-ons, and super-sized "purses." (My parents actually had 200 USD in overweight charges from their airline!) We hired a van and driver from Woodford Chauffeur Cars, which picked us up at our London hotel and drove us directly to the Cunard terminal. The cost was 140 GBP one-way.

We had originally booked a Cunard coach transfer but changed our minds when we realized we'd have to get ourselves and our baggage first to the Victoria or Waterloo coach station. With a van hire we got door-to-door service. The cost of the coach transfer was $80 USD per person, so the van hire was the better deal. [i had also researched the cost of traveling by BritRail and by National Express bus. As I recall the costs were around 65+ and 45 USD per person roundtrip, respectively, but still required getting to the station.] In addition, we were privileged to have the company's owner, Bryan, drive us down to Southampton. We also arranged to be driven back into London post-cruise for a brief stay. I can tell you that there's no way those little Mercedes taxis could have accomodated three adults and about 10 pieces of luggage. We did make inquiries regarding the price of a taxi from the docks into Southampton to see if the Cruise Director had been correct in his estimation. He was, for the most part: 100-120 GBP to Heathrow and 150 GBP to London. AFter the chaos of disembarkation it was wonderful to see our driver, Colin, waiting for us with that sign and getting us loaded up and on our way in a roomy van. With a prearranged car hire you could also ensure any special requirements were met such as child safety seats if you children are very young.

I can't say enough about Woodfood Chauffeur Cars. I had come across good references to the company on Fodors.com. I booked and corresponded with the company entirely through email off the company's website. They were very patient with me as I made very early bookings, numerous changes, cancelled in favor of the coach transfer, and then came back to them. They're based in Southampton and really know the Cunard set-up. We were told that most of the company's business is corporate. I'm not surprised as we received superior service.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you, thank you!! This website has just been a wealth of valuable information, especially for someone like me, who, while having travelled a good deal (in Europe), has never been on a cruise, and there is so much to manage. This is terrific. Hopefully after our trip I will be able to contribute some "tidbits" of wisdom!

Again, many thanks!

Frances

www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk

They are the best and love Cruise Critic'ers

Having read the posts here I gave into temptation and got in touch with these guys. Having contemplated driving down and parking (could we really get all our luggage AND us into a Peugeot 106?!), taking the train (oh the hassle) and obtaining a quote from a local taxi service (we are only about 40 miles from Southampton) I was pleasantly surprised at the quote we've been given by Woodford Chauffeurs - just an extra £15 each way more than the taxi company quoted us!

Since the taxi experience is dependent on the driver (likely to be impatiently hitting the horm outside) we have decided to go for what seems to be a much better service for very little more.

We are by no means 'Corporate clients' but the reception I've had so far from 'Cheryl', well let's just say I feel as 'corporate' as any of 'em :D

I will tell you that I have had exactly the same experience, and therefore have the same impression. Cheryl has been most responsive, their costs are very reasonable, they are flexible....everything that CruiserBruiser described, so I have gone ahead and made my arrangements with them. Wonderful people to deal with!:)

Our 14 year old daughter asked what was meant by the 'mod cons' Cheryl mentioned, did it mean they had TVs in the cars? I jokingly put this to Cheryl when I confirmed our booking and the response was "Most of our vehicles have DVD screens and TV screens, if that's what your daughter particularly wants, we will make sure we send an appropriate vehicle for you" :cool:

I am looking forward to the journey down now almost as much as the cruise itself! :)

If you did decide to get the train, then a very cost effective way would be to take Cunards transportation to the airport - Heathrow, from which you can get the tube into central london. Not as glam, but probably faster given the traffic in and around London

Archived