Where to shop?

newbie280106

Hi,

We're going to cozumel later this month with Voyager. We're doing a half day snorkelling tour and then would like to roam around and shop.

I'm wondering where is a good place to shop in Georgetown? We're most interested in local art/crafts etc. rather than retail clothing shops etc/. I'd guess most are near the port (that's near downtown right?). We'd like to get a bit off the beaten track and away from the ship-recommended shops but don't want to wander too far :)

Thanks!

This is the GC board so I assume you mean GC and not Cozumel...that being the case, the shopping in GC is very upscale and very expensive. This is not the port for bargains. The better shopping is in Coz if you are also going there. The best of GC is underwater!:D

We were on the Voyager, same ports, in Nov. 2004. Yes the vendors in Ohoc Rios and Cozumel can be pushy but just have fun with it and don't forget to bargain with them. They will always come down in price. Stick to your guns and you can get some great deals. I go with the attitude that I offer maybe half of what they want. Then let them make you offers, but I always say somthing like "I can't afford that and start to walk away" They'll be chasing after you in most cases, to make a sale.

Good luck and stay strong in your bargaining.

Marianne

We found this amazing little shop. I think it was called "Pure Art." It's about a mile away from the cruise port area. When you get off the tenders, turn right (head toward the Hard Rock Cafe), and just keep going down the road. It's on your left, right on the corder of a street. The front of the shop faces a side street (I have it on video, and I could check the exact street name). It's an old house that has been converted into a shop.

They had really pretty paintings, lots of local crafts, and many handmade items. I wished we would have found this place earlier, but we didn't. We probably drove past it 50 times before I spotted it.

I really was not at all impressed with the shops in the port area. I did get a new watch, but to me, there wasn't a lot of places to choose from. Pure Art was one that I would return to, although someone down there told me it was for sale, so who knows how long it will be there. Hopefully, someone will buy it and keep it up and running.

Everything in GC is pretty upscale. I have a small collection of Jasperware which is made by Wedgewood and they have a Wedgewood store in GC. I bought a really pretty small plate with a parrot on it. They have a series of these with tropical themes that are only available in the Caribbean. I've not actually seen the Wedgewood store in other ports, but was quite happy with my purchase from the GC location.

Archived