The Dawn today.

viennastatic

here is the message from yesterday from Denise, she is one of the passengers on Dawn:

Hi all vicarious cruisers!

It's a sea day after PR today-bit wavy and some showers but-who cares-I'm here!

We had a medivac last night @ 70 miles off of PR-The helicopter took whoever it was off in a basket-it was really windy. I hope they're ok. I heard that someone else got taken off the ship previously. YIKES! It was a sight to see though. BIG chopper.

We just got word that due to the high winds we are NOT going to GSC but to Nassau. I'm happy as I've never been there before. I didn't hear of anyone too bummed about it.

Ronald is a great butler-although we don't really require too much service.

We are in 11520 AB-yes the art work is tres funky. But I love the bathroom.

All the ports have been great-

We did hit part of ZETA-I was watching the report from the bridge on the 2nd sea day at just after midnight and the winds were hurricane strength-over 90 MPH!!! The seas were relatively calm tho so it wasn't too bad.

The cruise director is Linda.....

I will certainly mention you, cruzholic, to Hugo. he has been very accomodating and did attend our CC meeting.Island just left for vacation.

Chris, Have a great time on the JEWEL-that's gonna be our next cruise, I think. Too bad she doesn't sail from NYC! I guess I won't be leaving you any secret messages at GSC!!!

Oh yeah-for you football fans..we did have the playoff games yesterday-but the communication to everyone who works here regarding them isn't clear-My suggestion is that when you get on and have your CC meeting ask someone in authority if the games will be played.

That way you won't be worried (like my Steeler fans DH & DS were)

There are AV outlets on the flat screens in the AB-I'll check the other style tv's-someone had asked that.

It's hard to type when you haven't done it in a week!

Ok-talk soon-back out to the 80 degrees!

Denise

It was the tail of Zeda, and the winds howled, the sea rocked and the ship tilted, rocked and rolled. People were sick for 2 days, but luckily we weren't. The seas churned and the ship cracked and moaned. Believe me, it was an experience. You had to be there to experience it. I was, and Denise tells it like it was.

Great cruise. I won't be afraid of doing a repositioning from Spain now.:D

Denise- I don't think you would have calm seas if you had hurricane force winds of 90mph. Also, hurricane Zeta is out in the middle of the Atlantic, a long way from the Bahamas.

It was truly bizarre-and I only have the word of what the Captain said over the PA- and what I saw with my own eyes. The seas were not dead calm-there were small foamy white caps, but really no waves to speak of.

The winds were blowing like crazy-I couldn't believe it when at 12:30 am watching the Bridge Log on TV it reported 90+ mph winds-hurricane force. Of course I went to the balcony to look out and there was hardly any wave action at all. I was told later that the winds actually pushed the ship along-like the ship was a sail.

The Captain did explain why the wave action wasn't high but truthfully I don't remember exactly what he said.

This was the 2nd night out of NYC.

While I heard that all decks had been closed because of the wind; someone told me the next day that some woman did go flying across a deck.

We had hurricane force winds with only 3 ft seas during my recent MSC Lirica cruise. Because the winds were coming off the land and because we were hugging the coast, the waves hadn't had a chance to develop; but we did spend about 8 hours at a constant 75-80 degree list...but no rock 'n' roll.

We had hurricane force winds with only 3 ft seas during my recent MSC Lirica cruise. Because the winds were coming off the land and because we were hugging the coast, the waves hadn't had a chance to develop; but we did spend about 8 hours at a constant 75-80 degree list...but no rock 'n' roll.

A thought occured, I wondered if walking that way with the list, when it was fully upright again, did everyone walk crooked? I just had this picture in my mind and it made me laugh.

Archived