Galveston Hotel

Monkeys On Board

Just got back from our cruise on the Conquest. We stayed at the San Luis resort which was a little pricey but very nice and well worth the price. It was on the seawall about a 10 minute ride to the pier. They offer free cruise parking and a free ride to and from the pier.

We stayed pre-cruise at the HarborHouse Pier 21. It was wonderful. Right on the water, and near many restaurants and a few shops. It was previously an old coffee warehouse that was converted so the rooms were very large. They also let us leave our car at their lot which was gated for only $25. The best part was that you could actually walk to the ship. If you have too many pieces of luggage you can drive them to the ship. Leave them with a traveling partner and go back and park the car at the Harbor House. Worked for us. Good Luck and have fun.

Don't know if this will be helpful or not. We're cruising on the RCI Rhapsody Sunday 1/22. We're going to be staying at the Fairfield Inn in Texas City for $76.28 including taxes and fees. I called the Hilton Galveston Island and they wanted $179.00 for one night. That just seems kind of steep to just have a room to spend the night before the cruise.

My preference would have been to find someplace on Galveston Island but I couldn't find anyplace at a reasonable price. According to the map, the Fairfield is right off of I-45 and is less than 20 miles to the dock. We'll probably drive around Galveston Island Saturday, get dinner there, drive back to the hotel, then get up Sunday morning and and drive to the dock.

Tim

Can anyone suggest a nice hotel near the port? Thanks!!
Hola,

I've heard good things about the Harbor House. Personally, we used the Holiday Inn on the Beach last year and are booked again for 2/5. Nice hotel with free cruise parking and free shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal. It is also close to everything: IHOP, Golden Corral, Walmart, and my favorite, Joe's Crab Shack. The San Luis is pricey and you have the same view from the HI on the B, but if you have the money what the hey.

I recently stayed at Hilton & was very pleased & will be returning with a large CC group in Oct.

Hilton, Holiday Inn on the Beach & San Luis hotels are all owned by the same company, as well as Landry's Seafood. All offer free shuttles between their properties and to & from the ship, with free parking for the week.

Tremont is supposed to be a nice place to stay also and is located close to the ship.

Ok, so I've seen some positive posts....any place to NOT stay at? Using Galveston.org website and looking at those hotels w/ cruise/park I only see the Harbor View Inn (not to be confused with the Harbor House) for "cheap" when I need it March 18. Some of the others mentioned require a 2 night stay.

I'd rather not start the cruise with a bad hotel or with one greater than $100. Of course, since that would be finishing up Spring Break...maybe going cheap would get me all the Spring Breakers too....now I'm 2nd guessing staying on the island.:confused:

My choices for <$100 seem to be:

Harbor View Inn

Sand Piper Beach Motel

Econo Lodge

Best Value Inn & Suites

Any reason to run away from these hotels?

rns

We are booked for the end of the month at the Victorian Condo-Hotel. Free cruise parking and shuttle to and from pier. Pretty decent price too.

I stayed there with four kids, my mother and my Aunt Rita last August. We were laughing a few weeks later when the Victorian marquee was all over CNN with the words "Go Home Rita" on it.

It's a good place for a large family group. Otherwise, I would absolutely ABSOLUTELY stay at the Harbor House. It's not even close. The Galveston Beach smelled really, really bad last summer. The Harbor House is away from the beach, and the pier area is very nice. There is a lot to do there the night before you sail. You can rent Segways and there are little shops and restaurants. If you want a nice beach wait until you get to your first port of call- don't waste any time on Galveston.

Here is a review I wrote of that cruise. There are a few paragraphs on Galveston and the hotel:

http://www.cruisereviews.com/CarnivalCruiseLines/Elation79.htm

www.Galveston.com it will give you the hotels that offer cruise parking/ shuttle to the pier.

We have stayed at The Harbor House, The commodore, Comfort Inn(the new hotel), and two others that I forget right now.

The harbor house was a little expensive but right there at the pier- you have to drive your luggage over if you have a lot and drive back and park.

The commodore offers free shuttle and parking so does The Comfort Inn.

Howard Johnsons( just remembered the name of one of the others we satyed at) is right on a channel and had lots of mosquitos(summer) so in the winter it may not be a problem.I forget the name of the last hotel but it was a block back from the main drag. It was OK but I wont use it again so maybe OK that I forget the name right now.

We are staying at The San Luis resort for our upcoming cruise(jan 30).

Good luck and hope you find one that works for you

Karen

We stayed at the Comfort Inn (new one) on Seawall last year. Nice, breakfast was good, charged $20 for parking for the week with free shuttle, I think it was 99.00 for 2 queens. We will be staying at the Quality Inn you are speaking of on 59th and Seawall on 2/5/06. I'll let you know how it was. Somewhat less expensive, only $65.95 if you book directly with the hotel.

Ok, so I've seen some positive posts....any place to NOT stay at? Using Galveston.org website and looking at those hotels w/ cruise/park I only see the Harbor View Inn (not to be confused with the Harbor House) for "cheap" when I need it March 18. Some of the others mentioned require a 2 night stay.

I'd rather not start the cruise with a bad hotel or with one greater than $100. Of course, since that would be finishing up Spring Break...maybe going cheap would get me all the Spring Breakers too....now I'm 2nd guessing staying on the island.:confused:

My choices for <$100 seem to be:

Harbor View Inn

Sand Piper Beach Motel

Econo Lodge

Best Value Inn & Suites

Any reason to run away from these hotels?

rns

From past experience....I would NOT stay at Flagship. It used to be first class property but after many years of mismanagement & poor maintenance...it's a dump. I was there in Nov & stayed at Hilton & noticed outside of Flagship had a new paint job & look but not sure about inside.

From past experience....I would NOT stay at Flagship. It used to be first class property but after many years of mismanagement & poor maintenance...it's a dump. I was there in Nov & stayed at Hilton & noticed outside of Flagship had a new paint job & look but not sure about inside.

Good to know. I was actually considering that at one time. Sorry to here it is not as I remember long ago when I was a teenager....

I have booked the Victorian Condo instead of my others listed. Decided to "splurge" a bit and the gated parking/shuttle transfer sounded better than leaving the van in a parking lot for a week.

rns

• 2 weeks later...

We staryed at the Econolodge in May 04. Nice, clean rooms. The only problem we saw was that when we were waiting for our shuttle to take us to the ship, we met people who had just gotten off and their car had been broken into and their window was shattered. Luckily when we returned ours were fine.

Harbor House is a neat small hotel right by the terminals.

The Tremont and Galvez are first class properties, very nice. The Tremont is only three blocks to the terminals in the Strand Area, the Galvez (Queen of the Gulf, 1911) is on the seawall. Other first class are the San Luis, Hilton, & Moody Gardens Hotel.

Some you've mentioned Quality Inn, Comfort Inn both on the Seawall are new so they should be a good room. There are also a new La Quinta and a Holiday Inn on the Seawall. Gaido's Motor Inn and the Commodore are older family owned but should be clean and reasonable.

Landry Corp. just won a legal battle to takeover the Flagship, so it will get a total restoration if it hasn't already. It is unique in being the only hotel in America built out over the ocean.

Try Gaido's/Casey's Restaurant for seafood, Landry's owns the rest of them.

I can recommend the Tremont Hotel. We stayed there in January. Reserved the room on Priceline and got it for $70. It is a beautifully restored victorian hotel (all non-smoking). Excellent 4 star service, easy walk to get a bite to eat. There is a rooftop verandah that looks out over the city and the port. They offer a free shuttle in the AM to the cruise terminal. Although it's only four blocks to the pier - it is a very long walk across the parking lot. We arrived very late the evening before and the suttle was already booked. We called Yellow Cab and asked for a van, cost us $5 and was worth it. We didn't have to wait for our turn in line and could leave when we wanted.

Archived